Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 08-02-2011, 12:09 PM

DL Lion to External then Clone

Being cautious re. Lion and some issues I've read about, specifically 3rd party apps at the moment.

Can I dl Lion & install to an unused external drive (in Voyager dock), then do a SD clone from the external, and perform the install on my iMac when/if I decide I'm ready to bite this new bullet?

Would the SD cloning process from the external drive to the iMac require any special steps? If so, would appreciate simple guidance.

Am not sure how to do this, IF I can??

many thx
Old 08-02-2011, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
I don't quite understand what you're doing with the copy here. Do you mean make a copy of the internal and then install Lion on it (to an external)?
Old 08-02-2011, 12:24 PM

What I am thinking is to dl & install Lion onto the external drive first. I think my iMac would see the external in the Voyager dock ?

Then later copy or SD clone the folder from the external to the iMac .....

If I'm not making sense, please tell me how to set it up to do what I want:

I want to dl Lion but NOT install or place it on my iMac until I'm ready. I thought the best way to do this would be to do an initial dl/install onto an external. Then, copy or SD clone from the external to the iMac

??????
Old 08-02-2011, 12:25 PM
Administrator

"The folder" - no. You could, say, make a copy of your internal to the external, then upgrade the external with Lion, then try to copy that back (or migrate from it). But you can't just copy the "os", no.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:45 PM

1. so if I'm understanding the process, I could take my existing SD clone (containing Snow Leopard OS) which is on an external drive in the Voyager, boot from it, dl & install Lion onto it?

2. Then create another SD clone on a second new external drive in the Voyager dock on which I would just continue to clone from my iMac (with Snow Leopard) as I've always done - no Lion on it yet.

3. When I'm ready, do a SD clone from external (in step #1 - which has Lion on it) to the iMac.

Am I getting there yet? <BG>
Old 08-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Well, but, what are you running from? If you're testing Lion, it's likely your "main" Mac. So you'll need a partition to back that up to. And you'll need to keep backing up the original... yes, it's a bit complex.

Are you sure you're really ready for Lion, and that Lion is ready for you? Seriously, now: I know it's exciting to have a new OS release, but as you know, these first releases are always a bit rough. Maybe wait a few versions?
Old 08-02-2011, 01:15 PM

Excellent point, Dave - I am waiting til I'm sure - just thinking about future scenarios and trying to figure out the "how to" when I'm ready and when Lion has gone through its permutations AND when the 3rd party apps I like are Ready for Lion.

thanks for the advice and the warning....
Old 08-02-2011, 01:25 PM
Administrator

It's never fun or easy to roll back from an OS update. You can make a backup, retain that, install and then restore the backup to roll back, but then any changes you've made are a pain.

Sandboxes are a good way, and while you can Sandbox Lion from Snow Leopard, a lot has changed and who knows what Mail'll do if you're not using IMAP (for example)... so I don't recommend it.