Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 08-03-2005, 09:07 AM

Sandbox - which drive?

Hi

Apologies if the following questions are obvious. I am fairly new to Mac and very new to Superduper. My current set up is an Imac G5 with a 250GB internal drive, and I have just purchased a Lacie external firewire drive , also 250GB. I have read the user guide and am keen to have both the backup and the safety clone, but I have a couple of points I wish to clarify before I let myself loose on the system! My understanding is that the best set up involves partioning the internal drive. To do this I need to create a full bootable backup on the external drive, check that this is working fully, and only then partition the internal drive. I then copy the backup from the external drive to the larger of the internal partitions. I then create the safety clone on the smaller partition. Am I correct?

If the above is correct what size partitions would you create?

Many thanks in advance

Regards

Mark
Old 08-03-2005, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
If you've got an external, there's no need to partition the internal drive. Instead, just partition the external into a backup, Safety Clone (should you wish to use that), and data partition as appropriate.

Size is hard to suggest -- you need enough space on your backup partition to hold the whole internal drive (well, as much data as you plan to put on it). The Safety Clone/Sandbox need only be 10-12GB, and the data is what's left over.

Sound like a plan?
Old 08-03-2005, 12:13 PM

Sounds good to me, thanks for the clarification.

Mark
Old 08-03-2005, 01:55 PM
Administrator

My pleasure, Mark. Let us know how it works out!
Old 11-26-2005, 07:09 PM

Alright. So I'm going to tackle this Sandbox thing, which, through no fault of your own, confuses me slightly. But I have put some thought into it. Let's see if I have this right:

I currently boot off of a 250GB FireWire drive named Betty Boot. I'm getting a second identical 250GB FireWire drive, which will be named Bertha Backup and used for...wait for it...backup.

So, if I use Bertha exclusively for backup, I only need to partition the second external FireWire drive Bertha Backup into two partitions. Let's call them Bertha Backup (200GB), and Sally Sandbox (50GB).

I'll then do a "Backup--all Files" to Bertha Backup, and a "Sandbox-shared users and applications" (using the "Startup from Sally Sandbox" option) to Sally Sandbox.

(Question one: If I want to schedule a weekly backup, what specifically do I schedule?)

Anyway, after I do this, the OS I'm actually using will be on Sally Sandbox and system and program updates will be applied here. And Betty Boot will always have the original unmodified OS/programs to roll back to if needed.

(Question two: this is still true even if a weekly backup has occurred?)

At the point where I'm confident that the updates applied to Sally Sandbox are stable, I should be booted from Sally Sandbox and then: Copy Sally Sandbox to Betty Boot using "Backup--all files" with the "Smart Update" option selected. Doing this will make Betty Boot identical to Sally Sandbox, including any new installed applications, and program and system updates.

And--correct me if I'm wrong--I shouldn't involve my internal 80GB drive (that would be "Martha My Dear") in any of this because Betty Boot will soon be larger than 80GB (but still much smaller than 200GB!) and the Mac Mini internal drive runs at 4200RPM which is slow slow slow and why I got the external FireWire boot drive in the first place.

Sorry this is so long and detailed, but I want to make sure my head is wrapped around this before I proceed. Thanks in advance for your time!

Jamie

P.S. My PCs never had names
Old 11-26-2005, 07:14 PM
Administrator

OK. To back up, you'll always schedule Betty Boot to Bertha Backup, using "Backup - all files" and Smart Update.

I'm not sure how the backup actually changes your Sandbox... all the backup will do is make Bertha Backup the same as Betty Boot.

The rest, it sounds like you're right. And, yes -- it is likely that it'll be larger than 80GB. I think you sound like you're in good shape.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:19 AM