Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 03-27-2006, 04:26 PM

DNS issues after running SuperDuper! on Xserve

After running SuperDuper! to backup the primary drive in my Xserve to a second internal drive, I found all of my DNS zones missing on my server this morning. I was able to recreate the zones, but apparently Mac OS X 10.4.5 server no longer will create the forward zones (while 10.3 server did). Apple wants to charge me a support fee of nearly $700 to fix this incident (I am already paying for AppleCare Premium Server Support, but they tell me this is not covered). Could something have happened to the DNS files during a backup? Should I just use the backup copy to replace the boot drive? Any advice will be appreciated. My managed client stations cannot get to the Internet until I get this fixed.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
I can't think of anything that could happen while we're copying files that would cause your DNS zones to go missing.

I'd suggest looking in /etc/named.conf and /var/named to see if the data is there as it should be. If so, I'd turn off the BIND daemon, rename your existing folders, and carefully copy the stuff from the backup (with proper ownership, authenticated, etc) in to see if it works...