Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 04-17-2012, 02:24 AM

External USB drive ejecting during backup problem

Hi I've got a problem with trying to copy my MacBook Pro internal drive to an external 500GB USB drive. The internal drive has 290GB of data on it, but halfway through the copy process the drive will eject and the copying fails. I've then tried to Smart Update the drive to continue the process, It does copy for a while but then ejects itself again. I'm not sure why it's doing this as only last week I did the same to my Mac Mini and it all went smooth. I want to put the 500GB drive into my MacBook Pro so that's why I want a perfect bootable copy. Any ideas? I've kept some of the logs that I can add if that helps? Thanks
Old 04-17-2012, 07:20 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
If the drive is ejecting your're having hardware problems. It's either the cable, case, drive or power supply - under load, the drive stops responding, and when that happens, the OS gives up and "ejects" it...
Old 04-17-2012, 07:35 AM

It is quite strange as it worked perfectly fine doing exactly the same on my mac mini just last week. The drive seems to work fine when I just copy files normally to it, and i've done a full zero erase on the drive and tested it with Tech Tools and Drive Genius (running in the case) and they report every thing is ok. I'm not sure how else I can diagnose it? I have ordered another external usb case so I can see if that makes a difference. If there was any other suggestions in the meantime that would be great. Thanks.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:41 AM
Administrator

I'd try different ports and cables. If you're sure the drive surface is fine, then you've narrowed the problem to case, cable, port(s) and power supply.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:50 AM

I only have 2 usb ports on my MacBook Pro, I'm not sure if i move the drive between ports or not but I can try that. It is usb powered so no external power, and I only have the one *special* usb cable that came with the case so can't really try another one. I might have to wait until the other case arrives to see if that helps.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Yes, I'd try using the other port. And make sure your MBP's plugged in.