Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 02-14-2007, 12:21 PM

Hanging ....

Hey,

I backed up my emac OSX 10.3.9 fully to a Lacie 250 Gig firewire drive. Something went amiss with my internal hard drive, and all of my applications are acting as though I am a first time user.

When I start up from the firewire drive, I can access my documents which do not appear on the hard drive any longer.

So I tried an Archive and Install to be safe, and then I tried to use Super Duper to "copy different" from the Fireiwre back onto the internal because I had been editing and saving all documents on the Firewire, and those were the items I wanted to keep. I let it run for 4 hours and 45 minutes last night, but after about the first hour, the numbers didn't change. I stopped and tried again, and it was just hanging earlier in the process.

Firevault is off, although when I backed up the first time, firevault was on. Sleep mode is off.

My internal drive will no longer boot up for some reason ...
Do I need to clean install to get this to work?

I am new at this whole situation but I need my computer for work purposes so losing anything is no good. My Itunes and Iphoto libraries are on DVDs as well.

help!
Old 02-14-2007, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
You definitely can't do a "copy different" and produce a bootable drive. If the backup is up to date, I think the best thing to do would be to do an erase-then-copy or Smart Update to get things back...
Old 02-14-2007, 12:40 PM

I see

Oh, OK. Although I have read through the manual, it still just flies over my head. Ok, so all of the applications and such should be on my bootable drive right (ie: the startupdisk is the backup at this very moment which means that the computer is running the applications through the backup copy?)?

Is it normal that the music and photos don't show up when I click on itunes or iphoto (although the folders are in there with all the info, they don't register as such? I am just so scared it's all going to go away ...
Old 02-14-2007, 12:43 PM
Administrator

The music should show up there, actually, if it's the startup drive and the data's there. Make sure you go through the full path to your data -- start at the top of your backup drive, then Users, then your account, then Pictures or Music and make sure things are where they're supposed to be...
Old 02-14-2007, 01:06 PM

They are hierarch-ically where they are supposed to be I believe. It says Claudia as user and then underneath it has a sparseimage. Then when I click on the sparseimage a drive appears, and all the info is there. It's just when I click on an application to access the info (say itunes for the music), it asks me to set up my account, and opens with nothing in it. I am sorry for all the questions. It just seems everything is amiss, and I'm not sure if I even clean install if I will know how to restore everything that's on there.

I have looked online quite a bit through discussion boards and such but I can't seem to find much.

I am not sure if this matters, but my emac was one of the ones with the bad capacitors. Apple just replaced the motherboard, but these problems started right after I backed up for the first time using superduper, which I did because my computer started freezing and I thought it might be on its way out.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Um, OK, so your Home folder is using FileVault. I thought you said that you were logged into the backup? Did you turn FileVault off?

I'm quite confused about what you've done here, and how your system is set up...