Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-03-2007, 09:03 PM

SD and lost disk space

At http://forums.bombich.com/viewtopic.php?t=3852 Andreas, the Bombich forum moderator, points to a situation where the absence of the target drive when a back up is scheduled, or where a backup is interupted part way through, when using CarbonCopyCloner can result in loss of space on the source drive:

Quote:
If a scheduled task ran when the target volume was not available, or if the target became unavailable during a cloning, you will need to remove items that will have been copied to your startup disk.
He later goes on to say:

Quote:
Do something to ensure that whenever a schedule runs the target will be available so that you don't have to do this too often!

NB CCC does not cause the creation of a 'false clone'; it is the way the Operating System functions when the designated target for a copying procedure cannot be found.
I have never tried interupting an ongoing back-up using SD but I certainly haven't experienced this issue simply because my target volume wasn't available. Instead I simply get a polite message telling me that the drive can't be found and the process stops.

Is an interrupted backup with SD likely to result in loss of space on the source disc space? I've seen quite a few mentions of this as an issue with CCC on the Apple Discussions boards, but not with respect to SD. If it is really an "OS" issue, as the Bombich site suggests, wouldn't the problem be inevitable? Or does SD do such things differently somehow?

Cheers

Rod