Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 09-14-2006, 10:54 AM

Rolling back to previous system

Dave,

I recently installed the Quicktime 7.1.3 update and now video playback is really screwed up on my system. The Apple discussion boards are full of complaints so I'm not the only one.

I'm running a Sandbox, but I haven't yet updated it back to my original drive. That means my original drive has a system with an earlier version of Quicktime on it.

I know how to update the Sandbox from the original drive so that it mirrors that original drive, but I guess I want to be sure that I don't lose anything else important in the process. I know I won't use my documents, mail, or anything like that. I would just be losing any updates to the Applications folder or the System iteself, correct?

Strange question, but what about Photoshop actions? I added a whole bunch of them after the QT update. Will I have to re-add them?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 09-14-2006, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Hi, Chris.

If you're running on a Sandbox, all your user files are going to be preserved (assuming, of course, they're in your Home folder or below). Applications and system changes are going to be rolled back.

So, boot back to the original drive and disconnect the Sandbox. This won't make any changes, but you'll see what's there and what isn't. You can easily get back to the Sandbox by simply starting up from it, right?

So, test things out to see what you're missing. The Photoshop actions *might* need to be re-added, depending on where Photoshop stores them...
Old 09-14-2006, 02:29 PM

Thanks Dave for your timely (as always) reply.

Let's say the Actions were part of the Photoshop preferences file on my current Sandbox. If I start up from my original volume, could I then copy the PS preferences from the Sandbox back to the original volume before I update the Sandbox (i.e. roll it back to the original drive's status)?

Chris
Old 10-09-2012, 07:15 PM

sandbox with extra folders at root level

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post

If you're running on a Sandbox, all your user files are going to be preserved (assuming, of course, they're in your Home folder or below). Applications and system changes are going to be rolled back...
Yesterday I sandboxed a computer with many extra folders I have created at root level and upgraded the system on the sandbox. It is the first time I have used the sandbox feature. Your post has made me wonder: these extra folders are not in the Home folder or below. That means, I should boot out of the sandbox straight away and stop using it if I want to change those folders, right?
Old 10-10-2012, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Those folders weren't changed, and since they're not shared, any changes made while running from the Sandbox will not be reflected on the original volume.

That is - shared files (eg home folder items) are changed on the original volume, when you make changes, because they're linked to the originals. Those root folders are on the Sandbox, and would only be updated on the original if you were to copy back, as explained in the User's Guide.