Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 01-30-2009, 11:46 PM

Back up drive will not boot

Hi all!

Backing up my system drive to external (OWC) drive... it's worked in the past; however this time although it shows up as a bootable drive when I restart my computer (option + power), it only gets as far as the grey Apple screen and then the system just hangs.

1st attempt was as a Smart Update... then tried Erase, then copy option... then erased the entire drive via Disk Utility and tried Erase/copy option again. All to no avail.

Again, the drive does show up as a bootable drive, it just simply won't complete the boot process.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

-- Sue
Old 01-30-2009, 11:54 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Well, try the "Backup boots but all applications crash" fix pinned at the top of this forum, Sue. Let's see if that helps.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
Well, try the "Backup boots but all applications crash" fix pinned at the top of this forum, Sue. Let's see if that helps.
Thanks Dave... but I'm wondering if the same fix applies if I'm still running Tiger?

-- Sue
Old 01-31-2009, 12:21 AM
Administrator

Ah, no, it doesn't (you didn't mention you were using Tiger). Perhaps try renaming the backup drive to the *same* name as the source drive before starting up from it?
Old 01-31-2009, 12:32 AM

Hmm... well, I can try that... but somehow I thought it was inadvisable to give two drives the same name.

Sorry I neglected to mention Tiger in my original email... I'm finally getting around to installing Leopard, but don't want to do it until I make sure that I have a working backup of my system drive.

I suppose that it could be a drive problem... I just haven't had any issues with the OWC drives (or SuperDuper, of course) before.

Thanks.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:37 AM
Administrator

Well, in this case we're trying it under controlled circumstances to determine if that might be the problem...
Old 01-31-2009, 01:33 PM

Backup copy won't boot

My backup does not boot, either...but I don't even see it as a bootable option in StartUp Disk preferences. The drive is an EZQuest. Am I correct that Shirt Pocket has said that only OWC drives are "pretty much" guaranteed to make bootable backups? If so, why? (Yes, I told SuperDuper to back up all files, not just my user, so it should have a complete copy of the drive, I believe.)
Carol
Old 02-01-2009, 12:12 AM
Administrator

Your problem, Carol, is very likely that the drive is mispartitioned (or, possibly, is a USB drive on a Power PC Mac -- I can't tell). The FAQ about drives that won't boot will likely prove helpful -- see "Help > Frequently Asked Questions" inside SD.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:12 AM
Administrator

Your problem, Carol, is very likely that the drive is mispartitioned (or, possibly, is a USB drive on a Power PC Mac -- I can't tell). The FAQ about drives that won't boot will likely prove helpful -- see "Help > Frequently Asked Questions" inside SD.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:09 PM

Bridge question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
The FAQ about drives that won't boot will likely prove helpful -- see "Help > Frequently Asked Questions" inside SD.
An excerpt from your response to an FAQ inside SD: "The most important thing is to have an Oxford-based FireWire bridge chipset. Prolific and Initio "Oxford compatible" chipsets often have problems with OSX, both when copying and trying to boot."

My question, then, is how/where to tell which bridge my enclosure has? I have been unable to find that information in any documentation or online.

[BTW, I would have responded within the FAQ but was denied that ability -- do I need to do something else with my membership in order to do so?]

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2009, 02:25 PM
Administrator

In general terms, the drives we recommend have true Oxford chipsets. Contacting the manufacturer can also provide this information.