Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 02-09-2008, 07:59 PM

Repair Permsissions is very slow.

G'day,

I've used SD for some while, but I notice that 2.5 is very slow when it repairs permissions - so slow it often takes 40 min to complete an incremental backup!

Is this a function of 10.5.1 or the way SD does its job?

Gammo
Old 02-09-2008, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
It's a function of 10.5.1: we simply ask Disk Utility to repair permissions and wait for it to finish.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:37 PM

Gammo

One thing you might consider from now on (i.e., 10.5.n and on) is to not routinely repair permissions. We've all gotten accustomed to doing it under OSX since up to now there hasn't really been any downside to doing so. As you know, many experts (or supposed experts) propose repairing permissions as a virtual panacea for OSX ills.

If you take a quick read on the Mac sites or through the Mac groups, it's not hard to find the contrary view (which is also my view)....that about 99% of the permission repair that gets done accomplishes nothing, in terms of real-world results. As I say, up to now, there has been no reason not to repair, so why not? The delays in the Leopard process may have changed that.

I now will do it only if I have installed major new software or, by default, once a week. Obviously, if you start having some problem which is known to be a result of permissions in disrepair, then by all means repair.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:07 AM

10.5.2 update doesn't help.

Repair Permissions continues to be very slow in 10.5.2 - I for one was hoping the update might speed this up (It also ramps my processors up to 100% for most of the time it's running). Not much to be done about this, except (as suggested above) not to bother repairing permissions every time, or to be more patient!

- padmavyuha
Old 02-12-2008, 12:50 PM

Thumbs up Suggestion: Make permission repair a by-passable option

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMay View Post
One thing you might consider from now on (i.e., 10.5.n and on) is to not routinely repair permissions. We've all gotten accustomed to doing it under OSX since up to now there hasn't really been any downside to doing so...
I second this suggestion. I have Macaroni installed and it makes sure my permissions are repaired on a frequent basis.

An advanced option to bypass the repair of permissions would go a long way to making my backups faster. Last night, it took 14 minutes for SD! to repair the permissions before proceeding to the backup.

Thanks for a great product.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
There's no need for an 'advanced option': simply don't check the option, in regular options, that's there (it's unchecked by default).
Old 02-12-2008, 03:41 PM

Is there any point to repairing permissions if you aren't having a problem, these days? Under Leopard it takes forever, and then usually reports things that aren't a problem anyway.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcintosh View Post
I second this suggestion. I have Macaroni installed and it makes sure my permissions are repaired on a frequent basis.
I love Macaroni.
Simple.
Works.
Reliable.
Inexpensive.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:55 PM

Hey guys...

When I said above "One thing you might consider from now on..." I wasn't talking to Dave. As he points out, it's already in the software. I was talking to (as we still say down here) "y'all." I see no point in routine frequent permission repairs.