Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 12-17-2009, 03:26 PM

Backing up Time Capsule to ext. drive connected via Time Capsule

Hi there,
I've read some threads on this topic (and consulted the "Backing up over a Network" in User's Guide and "Airport Disks" on blog), but I'm still having trouble figuring out how to make this work. Note that I use SD for my regular computer backup every week perfectly, so I do have some experience with SD.

Here's the deal: I have my music and photos along with some other "old" files stored on my Time Capsule (which I'm connected to wirelessly) and I'm trying to make a backup of those (just selected folders on the Time Capsule, not my Time Machine backups because I'm already doing that with Super Duper on yet another drive). I purchased a big external hard drive and have it attached to the Time Capsule via the USB hub and am ready to go, but I can't figure out how to get from A to B. When you say in the user's guide "mount the network volume, and then choose Disk Image… from the destination pop-up." I'm not sure how to choose a disk image once I'm connected to the Time Capsule. (Sorry to be so tech-unfriendly). Do I need to make 2 disk images--one for my Time Capsule and one for my new hard drive? And further, do I have to make disk images of each folder I want to copy? Again, sorry about my density on this. Look so forward to getting guidance. Thanks!
Old 12-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
You can't do this with SuperDuper: we cannot back up directly to or from a network drive.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:57 PM

aw shucks!

Dave,
Thanks for the speedy reply. Do you have any ideas for me how to do what I'm trying to do save for a direct copy every week (of 300gigs!)?
Old 12-17-2009, 04:51 PM
Administrator

There are probably other applications out there that will do it...
Old 12-19-2009, 11:03 PM

just checking

The title of this thread sounded like the exact right one for me, but turns out it isn't. Just want to check on something, if that's all right. I have an external HD connected to my Time Capsule. I would like to back up my Time Machine backups (from two macs) from the TC to the external HD. I read the users guide about backing up over network, and this thread, and I'm a little confused, but it LOOKS like I cannot do what I want to do wirelessly (backing up and smart updating the TM backups from the TC to the external HD). Right? If so, how about if I connect the HD and the TC to my laptop? Thanks in advance for trying to make sense of my post!
Old 12-20-2009, 12:19 AM
Administrator

You can't, really. You could try to open the sparse bundle that Time Machine is storing on your Time Capsule and copy that locally, but I don't think it'll work as expected.