Thread: I/O Errors
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2006, 08:24 PM

I/O Errors

Since updating to the latest SD I suddenly have problems with the copy freezing on an I/O error. Here's the last few lines from the log file:
/Users
| 04:56:43 PM | Info | WARNING: Caught I/O exception(5): Input/output error
| 04:56:43 PM | Info | WARNING: Source: /Users/billsveinson/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Podcasts/Adobe Photoshop Killer Tips/Quickly Jumping to Different Layers.mp4, lstat(): 0
| 04:56:43 PM | Info | WARNING: Target: /Volumes/FW Boot/Users/billsveinson/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Podcasts/Adobe Photoshop Killer Tips/Quickly Jumping to Different Layers.mp4, lstat(): 0
| 04:56:43 PM | Info | Attempting to copy file using copyfile().
This has happened with both of my 80 GB external FW drives, one is a wall-powered standard-sized drive, and the other one is a bus-powered unit with a laptop drive. Both worked flawlessly with SD before. The failure is always as above, with the choking point always being an iTunes file. I managed to get the larger drive to complete a backup by deleting the offending file, but the small drive still chokes each time. An even bigger problem is the way that SD refuses to quit gracefully - I have to simply unplug the FireWire cable, which of course outrages the Finder and causes who-knows-what kind of corruption. Where to go from here?