View Single Post
Old 12-29-2013, 11:35 PM

Auto-mount internal drive by non-admin user?

My main user ID had admin status when I set up schedules for SuperDuper! to clone the single startup drive to an internal drive on my MacPro. Normally the other drive is unmounted: SD! was able to automatically mount/unmount the other drive before/after running.

For security, I demoted my everyday user account to 'normal' user status, but now my scheduled SD! runs fail because SD! can't find the backup volume. If I run the schedule manually (press 'Copy Now') then I am asked for the username/password for an admin user; on entering them, the disk mounts and the backup proceeds.

Outside of SuperDuper!, if I use Disk Utility to mount the backup volume, then I am asked for an admin's username/password. But there is no option to save the admin's password in the normal user's keychain (probably by design). So that does not help me have a scheduled backup run automatically.

Is there a way to do this other than run SD! in an account with admin status? Or, can I set up the schedules when logged into a separate admin account, and somehow get them to run automatically even when the machine is not logged into that account?