View Single Post
Old 10-19-2009, 01:01 PM

Booting partition with Master Boot Record

I have an issue on my Macbook Pro/10.5.8 opposite to what many people are having. Inadvertently, I partitioned my new Verbatim Quad Interface with MBR, though the formatting is HFS w/Journal (connection is FW800). The thing is, contrary to the documentation, I CAN boot off the clone I made on one of the partitions on this drive! Tried it twice, checked About Mac for confirmation. Ran some sanity checks - the bootable clone worked just fine. I thought this information might be interesting to the community, but I also am concerned that somewhere down the line, I might be end up with a problem. However, I really don't want to go through the entire initial process (which involves copying Tme Machine) again. Do you thing this MBR thing is okay for my bootable drive?

The problem I AM having with this drive - hanging up the whole machine out of Sleep - is I'm guessing a problem with Time Machine and not SD. Although it is odd that my old external drive never exhibited this problem, and it did not have a SD partition on it. Any thoughts here would be appreciated? Thanks.

Last edited by tdurocher; 10-19-2009 at 01:11 PM.