View Single Post
Old 12-30-2005, 04:57 PM

Spotlight (re)indexing issues

I'll piggyback on this thread since it's related to my Spotlight issues with SD! ...

I clone a startup volume to an external FW backup volume and haven't been able to reliably stop Spotlight from reindexing that backup volume if it's been dragging to the Spotlight Privacy prefs per instructions posted here. For awhile it worked fine, even after unmounting/remounting the backup volume and system restarts, but yesterday the indexing happened when the volume mounted (and obviously it was gone from the Privacy prefs). Previously I'd ran the disable_spotlight script after cloning, which was 100% reliable for what it did.

It doesn't matter (much) to me if the backup volume has a copy of the startup volume's Spotlight index or none at all. If I ever do a full restore I'd mostly expect to reindex the volume afterwards anyway. As I understand it, certain Spotlight metadata (e.g. kMDItemWhereFroms, set with Safari downloads) is lost when reindexing. However, if a Spotlight index is preserved during cloning, and not reindexed, would that metadata survive? I know its lost simply by copying/moving files between volumes but if there's some way to preserve it using a full SD! volume backup/restore strategy that would be ideal.

Hope that makes sense. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!