View Single Post
Old 09-20-2007, 03:27 PM

Here's one huge vote for a "daemon" version of SuperDuper!

I have been spent countless hours investigating this feature on a competitor's software only to find it still doesn't work in the way I would like (and I'm willing to admit that perhaps it's just not possible).

Ideally, at the end of the day I want to lock my screen with a screensaver and/or have my computer go to sleep, automatically wake in the middle of the night using either Energy Saver or something built into SD, and run a batch of nightly scheduled backups even though the screen is locked. The problem is when using the "Require password to wake this computer from sleep or screensaver" Security feature the idle timeout is set to 30 seconds and then it goes back to sleep. In the competitor's software, if I set the wake time to the same as the scheduled backup as a workaround, it seems to run only if using internal drives as source and destination. External drives spin down and unmount. This is problematic for me since I have several internal and external drives I want to manage in my backup strategy. Although I could manually logout at day's end, I prefer the added security of a timed, automatic lockout. I've tried the auto logout Security feature and it still doesn't work in the manner I would like.

And of course I also want to use FileVault!

I have experimented with using the automatic login on a Simple Finder account solution I found in the SD forums and find it a bit cumbersome to use FUS.

So in summary, a solution for performing scheduled, unattended backups while the screen is locked (and not allow the sleep 30 second idle timeout from interrupting the process) would be much appreciated. Please let me know if you would like any additional information or want me to beta test this functionality should you decide to offer this feature.