View Single Post
Old 12-16-2008, 10:45 PM

When is a clone not a clone?

Answer: When a utility like SuperDuper! copies volume-by-volume and ignores the partitioning table.

I used SD! to "clone" the 120GB GUID-formatted drive in my MacBook as the first step in upgrading to a 320GB drive. Now, a couple of months later, I'm trying to upgrade from Tiger to Leopard and am being told that my drive won't work because it's not GUID.

Hmmm. I'd expect a clone to be an exact copy, not a mostly-sorta-almost copy. I'm kind of up a creek now because the non-GUID drive currently in my MacBook is the largest drive I own. I have no other drives large enough to store my entire user directory on, nevermind applications or anything else.

I'm not really looking for an answer to anything, just sort of venting as I ponder whether I want to go hard drive shopping again or try to get the Apple Store to let me return opened software.

Okay, just this one question: how much effort would be involved in tweaking SD! to actually fully clone a disk? That is, to have it clone a GUID disk as a GUID disk.

Thanks,
macdane