View Single Post
Old 09-19-2007, 02:59 PM

SparseImage lock-in?

Hi there,

I have been evaluating backup software for my macbook and came across SD! which seemed pretty universally praised.

I downloaded the trial and was very impressed. Simple, powerful and effective. My requirement (system backup to a network drive) was met easily.

However, just as I was about to pay the (reasonable) fee I came across something of a showstopper. I'm sharing it with the forum so that (a) you can correct my misapprehension and I can buy the product (the best solution) or (b) so that you'll know what feature caused one user not to buy SD! (in case you're interested).

I own one mac, one network drive and one pc (dual-boot linux and windows xp). Now, suppose the worst happens and my macbook is destroyed somehow (or at least the hdd is finished). At least my data's safe: I can still meet the deadlines for putting that website live/getting that program out the door etc.. BUT it seems I can't get at it.

Linux can handle dmgs but seems to draw the line at sparseimages (and an afternoon's googling couldn't turn up anything to the contrary on this). Windows is even worse. My data is unreachable therefore, until I can get a new/repaired macbook... this is not really good enough for me.

So unfortunately I have to look for another backup solution... don't I?

Thanks for reading this, hope it wasn't too long-winded or stupid :-)