View Single Post
Old 01-16-2007, 05:11 AM

Not working in my case

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
However, you can use a tool that we provide to set the UUIDs for the drives you want to rotate the same. They need not be named the same....To do so, use the little program called SDDiskTool that's inside the SuperDuper bundle....So, pick the one you want to be the original, and set all the other UUIDs to be the same. Then, no matter which one you have attached, we'll write to it.
Hi Dave. I just got around to trying this. (I'd bookmarked it some time ago.) Unfortunately, it isn't working for me as described and I hope you can tell me what I might be doing wrong.

Here's are the steps I took. I recently received 3 new 250GB hard drives, all of which I intend to use in a swappable SATA enclosure from WiebeTech.

Two Sundays ago, I initialized the first drive and named it "Andy Backup." (Fans of The Andy Griffith Show will recognize my naming scheme in a moment.) I then ran the SDDiskTool as you described to get the UUID and wrote it down for future reference. I set up a recurring schedule to do a smart copy to "Andy Backup" each night.

Then, this past Sunday, I initialized the second drive and named it "Barney Backup." I used the SDDiskTool application to set the UUID of Barney Backup to the UUID of Andy Backup and confirmed that the UUID was changed. The two drives have identical UUIDs. I swapped the Barney Backup drive into the enclosure and went to bed, expecting the recurring smart copy to occur normally, even though it was set up to run on Andy Backup.

However, when I woke up this morning, the schedule did not run because the application couldn't find the disk "Andy Backup." Shouldn't the identical UUIDs prevent this error from happening?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Cheers.
Joe