View Single Post
Old 02-05-2007, 09:14 PM

Backup -- internally connected! -- won't boot!

Thus may not be a SuperDuper! problem but, if it isn't, somebody here may be able to suggest something anyway.

I am using a G4 Dual 867 MDD.

I made a full copy of my old 60G startup drive with 10.4.8 on it to an 80G partition on my recently-acquired 300G Western Digital drive. Everything seemed to go OK, including making the drive bootable (according to SuperDuper!). The drive (all 3 partitions) is totally readable and writable with no problems. When I boot from another startup disk with 10.4.6, its Startup Disk panel lets me choose the new copy of 10.4.8 as my startup volume.

However, when I try to boot from this new volume, connected to either the built-in ATA-66 bus or an ATT-133 bus on my Sonnet Tempo card, the computer freezes immediately when the white screen with the apple should show up, showing a white screen with a slased circle instead. (Sometimes, depending on factors I'm not sure about, it just boots from the 10.4.6 volume instead!)

I also tried unsucessfully to boot from 9.2.2 on the new volume. The fact that this failed convinced me that it wasn't a problem with the system but something else on the disk, so I examined all 5 of my connected disks with both pdisk and Disk Utility 10.5.5. With pdisk, I got the message, pdisk: No valid block 1 on '/dev/rdisk1' for only that one disk, which I could confirm (via Disk Utility) was the Western Digital disk. Also via Disk Utility, I found out that this one disk has no OS 9 drivers. (I think I chose that deliberately, if unwisely, when I formatted the WD drive.)

Since I didn't use pdisk to examine the Western Digital disk in the month or two I had the disk before making the backup, I have no way of knowing if the missing block 1 was missing before I made the backup. Anyway, I'd like to find out if there's any way to correct the problem now, other than finding another disk or volume that I can clone to!

Last edited by aaron; 02-05-2007 at 09:18 PM. Reason: to improve formatting