View Single Post
Old 02-26-2007, 08:34 AM

Thanks, Dave, that is very helpful. I can believe that the ReadyNAS is worth buying simply as a much safer and more convenient repository for Superduper! disk images, along with media files. But I like the fact that the Airport Disk will be HFS+ and that the base station controller itself is an Apple product that will be maintained through system upgrades. It looks like it is easy to use and set up, quiet and not too expensive. I wonder if it would actually suit me better for sharing files and be at least adequate for holding SuperDuper! backups.

It is hard for me to put it in perspective without direct experience, but I've seen questions in the Infrant Forums about how the ReadyNAS works as a daily file-sharing server for Mac files: filenames, modification dates, metadata in general, search and delete functions all seem to have some limitations common to storing files on a foreign file system. I've had similar problems trying to back up key files to a linux server over the Internet and I am cautious about keeping the primary version of important files on a such a system.