Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (http://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Slow boot of 8core Intel mac from cloned drive (http://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5566)

pragmatist 08-20-2009 08:31 PM

Slow boot of 8core Intel mac from cloned drive
 
Hello:
I temporarily installed a second internal drive (brand new Western Digital E7K1000 SATA 3GB Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB HD, 32MB cache sata-300) in my 8 core Intel/Mac, 3ghz with 4 GB Ram, OSX 10.5.8 and formatted it for the Intel/Mac with 1 partition and used SuperDuper 2.5 to "copy all files" in order to make a bootable clone of the primary drive. I then removed the primary drive and replaced it with the cloned drive for test purposes.

Although the cloned drive seems to work well within the limits of the software that I tested, the initial boot time was considerably longer than noted with the primary drive. I shut the machine down and re-booted and although the boot time remained about the same as the initial test, on this occasion, a file (most likely plain text) opened on the desktop that was labeled "code."

Has anyone encountered this type of phenomena both in regards to the extended boot time and the aforementioned file and if so is there a remedy?

Thank you in advance.

dnanian 08-20-2009 10:00 PM

The "slow startup" was likely because it needs to recreate your hot file and system caches.

The "text" file was probably because your drive wasn't named the same as the original, so the Login Items "alias" (to a deleted application) resolved to a "real" file. Just delete that entry in Login Items.

pragmatist 08-21-2009 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 26153)
The "slow startup" was likely because it needs to recreate your hot file and system caches.

The "text" file was probably because your drive wasn't named the same as the original, so the Login Items "alias" (to a deleted application) resolved to a "real" file. Just delete that entry in Login Items.

Thank you for your reply.

Is there some action that I must take to allow for the creation of the "hot file and system caches"?

dnanian 08-21-2009 10:41 AM

No, they get created automatically over the first few startups.

pragmatist 08-21-2009 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 26162)
No, they get created automatically over the first few startups.

Thank you once again for your prompt assistance.

pragmatist 08-21-2009 02:57 PM

Codesignature
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pragmatist (Post 26160)
Thank you for your reply.

Is there some action that I must take to allow for the creation of the "hot file and system caches"?

Hell again:
I attempted to find the original HD entry among the Login Items for purposes of deletion as suggested but instead found an entry called "codesignature folder." The bootup folder that opens upon startup appears to be this codesignature. I tried to find an explanation for this folder via Google but to no avail. I am unable to check the box that would potentially allow for the hiding of this folder upon startup, do you have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

Addendum: Called Apple support and was told to delete the file rather than hide it, this eliminated the appearance of the the "_codesignature" folder. I deleted the original cache folder and repaired permissions but am still noting the slow boot...could it still be building the system cache and hot file?

dnanian 08-21-2009 03:56 PM

Don't delete the file, just delete the entry in Login Items.

pragmatist 08-21-2009 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 26167)
Don't delete the file, just delete the entry in Login Items.

Sorry, I misstated, I did exactly as you suggested above.
Have booted up a total of six times so far and am still experiencing the slow boot as mentioned before...a difference of approximately 10-12 sec as compared to the drive from which the current startup drive was cloned. Does this suggest that the clone is an inexact copy of the original?

dnanian 08-21-2009 06:45 PM

No, it does not: it doesn't really suggest anything other than you have different drives and they might be faster/slower/whatever compared to each other...

pragmatist 08-21-2009 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 26169)
No, it does not: it doesn't really suggest anything other than you have different drives and they might be faster/slower/whatever compared to each other...

Oddly enough, however, the drive in question has the same spindle speed, a larger cache than the original but not sure about the seek time. It is, however, a 1 TB drive as opposed to the original which was 500 GB.

dnanian 08-21-2009 09:48 PM

Hence the "whatever". ;)

sdsl 08-24-2009 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pragmatist (Post 26168)
...
Have booted up a total of six times so far and am still experiencing the slow boot as mentioned before...a difference of approximately 10-12 sec as compared to the drive from which the current startup drive was cloned. Does this suggest that the clone is an inexact copy of the original?

FYI, I have experienced this situation and I have found that it can take more than just ~ 6 reboots before the original "fast" startup is reached. I suspect it has to do in part with what is being done on the computer and how long the computer is running between those reboots. The priority of recreating the caches (which enable faster booting) might be relatively low and might have a time constant built in (I suspect that only someone at Apple really knows what those parameters are).


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.