Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Login info won't stick (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3279)

Jeffus 12-08-2007 09:23 AM

Login info won't stick

Hi Dave, I tried to post this on FAQ but was told I didn't have enough privileges so had to put it here???

When I login to your discussion board I have to put my name and password in everytime even though I tick the remember me box. I note that Safari dosen't ask me if I want to add it to my keychain. Is this normal?

Jeffus.

dnanian 12-08-2007 09:24 AM

Not in my experience, Jeffus, no. Not sure what would cause it, though -- it's working fine here. Are you denying cookies?

Jeffus 12-08-2007 09:36 AM

Login info

Hi again Dave, no I am not denying cookies. I have my cookie prefs set to only accept cookies from sites I navigate to. I have just checked in my cookie list and I have about 10/12 Shirt Pocket cookies. Strange eh? Never mind so long as I remember my password I'll be OK.

Jeffus.

dnanian 12-08-2007 09:38 AM

Very weird. Anyone else seeing this?

Jeffus 12-08-2007 09:47 AM

Login info

Hi Dave, I should add I am running Tiger 10.4.11 with 3.0.4 (523.12) Safari (just in case you thought I was using Leopard). Just logged off went to Apple discussion forum and logged in there automatically. Safari auto filling nickname and password, and then back to you but still had to log in manually. Top box says "user name" and bottom box blank and no tick showing in tick box. I fill them all in and in I come. Weird, yup.

Jeffus.

chris_johnsen 12-08-2007 03:24 PM

Forums work for me on 10.4.11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffus (Post 16016)
I have my cookie prefs set to only accept cookies from sites I navigate to.
I am running Tiger 10.4.11 with 3.0.4 (523.12)

I am running the same on a PPC (G4 iBook). I am not running any Input Managers, though I do have the Safari Debug menu turned on. I logged out from the Shirt Pocket forums web site and was able to log back in just fine (I checked the "remember me" box). I quit Safari and after restarting it, I went to this forum and it still knew who I was.

I have four persistent cookies from the forum: bblastvisit, bbuserid, bblastactivity, and bbpassword. There is also a bbsessionhash session-only cookie.

I also have 5 or so cookies that start with "MintUnique". They all look like timestamps, so I don't think they have much to do with forum logins.

Jeffus 12-09-2007 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_johnsen (Post 16020)
I am running the same on a PPC (G4 iBook). I am not running any Input Managers, though I do have the Safari Debug menu turned on. I logged out from the Shirt Pocket forums web site and was able to log back in just fine (I checked the "remember me" box). I quit Safari and after restarting it, I went to this forum and it still knew who I was.

I have four persistent cookies from the forum: bblastvisit, bbuserid, bblastactivity, and bbpassword. There is also a bbsessionhash session-only cookie.

I also have 5 or so cookies that start with "MintUnique". They all look like timestamps, so I don't think they have much to do with forum logins.

Hi Chris, thanks for the input it was most helpful. The only Input Manager I am running is "Inquisitor" and I have the debug menu active. Logged into Shirt Pocket this time manually again.

I too have the 5 cookies "MintUnique". I have the bblastvisit, bblastactivity and the bbsessionhash cookies. I don't have bbuserid or bbpassword I think this could be the problem. I also have 3 other cookies, exp_last_activity, bbthread_lastview and exp_last_visit (the low dashes are intentional). I note when I log out I get a message from Shirt Pocket vb bulleting board informing me "all cookies cleared". Is this normal? Thanks again,

Best R's, Jeffus.

dnanian 12-09-2007 11:00 AM

If you're "logging out" it'll definitely forget your login.

chris_johnsen 12-09-2007 06:15 PM

So, maybe Jeffus is talking about Safari remembering his login info, not the website remembering that he was logged in. Safari also does not remember my login info, but I am OK with "leaving myself logged in" (and looking up by password in my manual (non-Safari, non-Keychain) password store when I need it).

The lack of Safari remembering the login info may be due to the non-standard field names for the login fields. Or it may be due to the password hashing that is presumably done to avoid sending the password in the clear. (Although, according to my cursory inspection, it looks like it may still be vulnerable to replay attacks. It is better than sending it in the clear, but it is not "super secure".)

There are other auto-complete solutions out there. Maybe something like 1Passwd could remember the login info for the forum. I have never used 1Passwd, it is just something I ran across the other day. There are probably other programs like it.

Jeffus 12-10-2007 06:01 AM

Chris, your a star

Chris, your a star, absolutely perfect description of what is happening. When I look at my cookie list in Safari whilst I am logged in I have the missing bbuserid and bbpassword cookies. As soon as I log out they're gone. The thing I was missing is I frequent a lot of similar boards Micromat, Apple, MacFormat, Version Tracker, etc. and when I visit them my nickname and password (encripted) are already filled in (by Safari) although I am still logged out. All I do is hit loggin and I'm in . . . easy and I don't have to remember all the different passwords (I must get a manual like yours Chris). I ALWAYS log out of every site I visit subscriber or free, something I have always done, I just don't like staying logged in forever. That is why I was surprised to have to log into Shirt Pocket board manually everytime I visit.

Thanks for clearing that up Chis, you are a real savvy dude, hope you and yours have a great Christmas and New Year (that goes for you too Dave and the rest of the gang on this forum)

My best regards, Jeffus.

PS Dave you should have warned me about your story of your dog Kelti? in your blog. It happened to us too, I didn't manage to finish your story in one go, I had to come back a few times to read it all. Our Brandy was 16, still miss her too much. Very sad icon here, but you don't have one. J.

dnanian 12-10-2007 08:58 AM

If you stay "logged in" (which simply leaves the cookie around, and doesn't expose your password, etc), I think you'll find things work well.

Sorry for not warning you about the Ketzl stories... sad ones, I know, but something all of us go through at one point or another, alas. A toast to Brandy, who I'm sure was a good girl.

Jeffus 12-10-2007 09:20 AM

To Ketzi and Brandy a toast

Thanks Dave, Brandy was the best friend ever, we never replaced her . . . couldn't. Yes, a toast to both. God bless.

Jeffus.

PS Gonna stay logged in, see what happens????