Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   OSX/XP clone using Super Duper (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2313)

seagonus 04-23-2007 05:01 PM

OSX/XP clone using Super Duper

I recently used Super Duper to create a backup boot image of my system on an external WD 120GB drive. I then created an ASR disk image of the drive to install in case of hard drive upgrade in the future--or system meltdown.

Anyone have any experience restoring a hard drive with Super Duper ASR image--will it work flawlessly--including Parallels and and the XP partition I originally created using boot Camp?

Also, what about the fact that the disk that the image is stored on is GUID partitioned and the actual image is only 45 GB, which does not really inculde the XP partition.

dnanian 04-23-2007 07:06 PM

We definitely do not copy anything other than the volume you selected as the source, so your XP partition will not restore. We only copy the selected volume, and that volume needs to be HFS+ (Mac OS Extended and its variants).

seagonus 04-24-2007 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 11822)
We definitely do not copy anything other than the volume you selected as the source, so your XP partition will not restore. We only copy the selected volume, and that volume needs to be HFS+ (Mac OS Extended and its variants).

What about copying the windows XP partition directly into the bootable backup of OSX that I made through Super Duper.

Would this allow one to access XP via Parallels from the bootable backup made through Super Duper???

dnanian 04-24-2007 12:41 PM

I don't know how you'd copy it, but since I haven't done this myself I can't say whether or not it will work.

Of course, if you stored your Parallels image in a file on your regular HFS+ volume, rather than as its own partition, it could be copied and used either way.

seagonus 04-24-2007 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 11826)
I don't know how you'd copy it, but since I haven't done this myself I can't say whether or not it will work.

Of course, if you stored your Parallels image in a file on your regular HFS+ volume, rather than as its own partition, it could be copied and used either way.

I was thinking you could just drag and drop the XP volume inside the bootable backup volume by connecting the bootable backup via USB (not booting into it, but booting into the regular OSX on the machine). In this way the XP partition is not being used, so shouldn't it copy flawlessly onto the USB drive and be accessible through Parallels?

dnanian 04-24-2007 02:38 PM

No, I don't think that'll work.

jreffner 04-26-2007 05:54 PM

Windows Apps only then?

So basically, if we want to clone or back up an XP partition or drive, we will have to do it with a Windows application to an NTFS (or FAT32) drive, correct?

dnanian 04-26-2007 06:08 PM

I don't know whether that's true or not: I just know that we can't do it.