Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   SD 1.55, OSX 10.3, not seeing ethernet drive?? (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4476)

hank 08-22-2008 11:19 AM

SD 1.55, OSX 10.3, not seeing ethernet drive??

I've been using an Intel Mini, SuperDuper 2 (registered) and backing up to both a LaCie ethernet drive and a LaCie firewire drive. Both work fine, no problem.
I mount partitions from the LaCie ethernet drive from /Finder/Connect to Server/ and they show up on the desktop as folders.
(Drag and drop did NOT work reliably, copying to either of these drives, but SuperDuper did a complete first copy and updates to both of them. Just last week. Finally backed up well!)

Yesterday, the 366th day after I bought the Mini, it woke up dead -- light's on, nobody home.
Applecare vacation coming up for it.

Today, I'm using my G3 "Pismo" Powerbook, and on it opened up my older SuperDuper 1.55(v74) figuring I might as well back it up to the network drive also.
(I had registered the older version a while back, but never actually used it).

Okay, here's the oddity, or problem:

SD 1.55 on the G3 Pismo isn't seeing the LaCie ethernet drive. Not at all. The folder from it, mounted on the desktop, works fine but doesn't appear in the pulldown menu.

Is this blind spot normal behavior for the older version, or am I doing something wrong here?

dnanian 08-22-2008 11:28 AM

We can't back up from a network volume...

hank 08-22-2008 12:17 PM

No, not "from" -- "to" -- I wasn't clear

I wasn't clear in my question, I think.

I've successfully used SD 2.5 (Intel mini, 10.4) to back up _to_ the LaCie ethernet disk.

SD sees it fine and made a good sparseimage backup into a folder on that drive.
That's how it should work, isn't it? I haven't tried to restore from it yet, but the size looks right.

Now I'm using SD 1.55 (G3, 10.3) and it can't see the same folder, mounted on the Pismo's desktop. I thought it might be a feature not in 1.55 or a setting I'm missing.

Both with the Mini and the Pismo, I just mount the ethernet drive folder with /Go/ from the Finder menu.

dnanian 08-22-2008 12:24 PM

That's right, we can back up to the drive, as an image. But 1.5.5 doesn't have "Disk Image..." as an option. You'll need to follow the steps in the FAQ (Help > Frequently Asked Questions) for pre-2.0.

hank 08-22-2008 12:25 PM

think I"ve got it

Hang on, I poked around further in the menus.
It appears I can back up the whole hard drive as a disk image onto the network drive, into a folder.
That should suffice, I think, for what I want.

hank 08-22-2008 12:29 PM

er, my copy allows .dmg ....???

I'm looking at 1.55 (v74)
and it offers to do this into a file I've named:

"will use 'Backup - all files' to copy Macintosh to 20080821-Pismo.dmg ... except the temporary and system-specific ..."

It thinks it's doing it now.

dnanian 08-22-2008 12:31 PM

Wait a second: where did you find that option? I'm pretty sure we added the "Disk Image..." support (at least, the sparse image support) when v2.0 came out. It was a while ago, though... but the FAQ I wrote about network backups should help.

You don't want a DMG in most cases.

hank 08-22-2008 01:00 PM

where? hmmm, it looks a little confused

The two pulldown menus that come up are:
Copy: the options are Macintosh and "Disk Image"
To: (same options)

I select "Macintosh to copy.
I select "Disk Image" as the destination
It lets me define the location for that as inside a folder on the Ethernet drive.

When I look at the Options, though, I wonder.

Check: Repair permissions on Macintosh
During copy: erase 20080821-Pismo.dmg, then copy files from Macintosh (only option, grayed)
After copy: - - all grayed out.

So maybe it's not going to do anything?
Well, it seems to be trying.

Repairing permissions;

It found a "For architecture PPC object ....Quicktime Player malformed object (unknown load command 79)" but is continuing to repair permissions.

hank 08-22-2008 01:08 PM

more...

ok, it failed (gracefully, thank you) with:

Error ... halted execution.
Logfile ends with:
|10:03:23 AM|Info| The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume
|10:03:23 AM|Info| Verify/repair finished permissions on disk disk0s9 Macintosh
|10:03:23 AM|Info| ...ACTION: Prepare ASR image "20080821-Pismo.dmg"
|10:03:23 AM|Info| ......COMMAND => Creating disk image 20080821-Pismo.dmg
|10:03:25 AM|Info| Initializing...
|10:03:25 AM|Info| Creating...
|10:03:25 AM|Info| Finishing...hdiutil: create failed - Permission denied
|10:03:25 AM|Error| ****FAILED****: result=256 errno=1 (Operation not permitted)

I'm still looking for your FAQ on network backups. Searching the FAQ area for SuperDuper, the word "network" is not found. Other term to look for?

dnanian 08-22-2008 01:19 PM

OK -- I guess I did have "Disk Image..." in v1.5.5. Sorry, it's been a while.

Anyway, it sounds like the backup drive doesn't allow read/write for all users. Adjust the volume permissions for that, and I think it'll work. But -- don't use a DMG. Use a read/write image.

hank 08-28-2008 12:42 AM

Ok, I'm back, and ...

Ok, I'm back.

I want to copy a whole drive --- from an external Firewire drive --- and create a copy on the Ethernet drive.
I've made a folder on the Ethernet drive.

And I'm now running SD 1.5.5(v74) booting from the Pismo (10.3.9).

Looking at the menu, I have repair permissions checked (for the external FW) drive. Right?
And -- oops.

The ONLY choice available is to create a "Disk Image"
and I name it 20080827
and it assigns it the .DMG extension.

There's no other choice apparent. Is there some way to make a read/write copy as you advise, with this older version of SD?

IF NOT, I think I can do it with TriBackup 4.04 -- got that to work to back up the Pismo User folder to the ethernet drive last week.

dnanian 08-28-2008 09:57 AM

You can certainly do this: http://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81