Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What happened to Smart Update (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7008)

jmitro 05-03-2016 03:23 PM

What happened to Smart Update

Got a new iMac with elCapitan, downloaded latest version of SuperDuper, 2.8, and have done some backups but it appears that SmartUpdate is not used like in previous versions or at least it is not mentioned in the superduper box. Instead it says something like drive will be totally erased then backed up to make an exact copy. Is SmartUpdate still being used in 2.8 with ElCapitan? The first backup from HD to external partition1 did go surprisingly quickly, less then 20 minutes, and a subsequent backup from HD to same partition also went fairly quickly. But first backup from external partition1 to external partition2 took more than 40 minutes. Just curious about what is actually happening, smart update or not.

dnanian 05-03-2016 03:27 PM

If it says it's using Smart Update, it's using Smart Update. It's likely the other volume was more out of date, so it took longer to update.

jmitro 05-03-2016 03:35 PM

No. It says nothing about Smart Update being used. That's why I'm asking. Guess I should be more specific. Brand new computer. Brand new external, brand new partitions with very first backups/updates being made. External Partition1 received first backup and I can understand SmartUpdate not being used on a completely empty drive but when Partition1 received a subsequent backup using "backup all files", Smart Update was not mentioned and I've yet to see it mentioned.???

dnanian 05-03-2016 03:44 PM

If it says it's going to be erased, then you need to select "Smart Update" in Options under During copy.

jmitro 05-03-2016 03:54 PM

Oh gosh. silly me. Thanks. I see that now. I never had to do that (options) in previous version i was using. Smart Update was always there. I guess options is a newer feature or maybe I just forgot I had set it. anyway thanks so much for the answer.

dnanian 05-03-2016 05:02 PM

Definitely not newer - always been there... glad you're all set.

jmitro 05-04-2016 11:37 AM

Dave,
One more question related to "options". When I went to options and selected smart update the "repair permissions" option is grayed out. When I did the first few backups which were without options/smart update i did notice that it repaired permissions before copying. Now with using smart update it does not repair permissions before copying. Could I trouble you for a bit of explanation and/or way to get smart update to also repair permissions or if it is even necessary.???
tia,
jim

dnanian 05-04-2016 11:56 AM

Apple has removed Repair Permissions in El Capitan, so it's disabled in SuperDuper when you're running under 10.11.