Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   How to back-up for Apple Upgrade (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213)

Star Traveler 01-29-2005 09:27 PM

How to back-up for Apple Upgrade

Hello,

I just got SuperDuper a few hours ago. It's just fine, so far.

Now, on to the questions. I understand that if Apple has an upgrade of the system and/or its accompanying software that it normally supplies on their computers, then the Safety Clone would take care of any problem, if one needs to go back to where things were prior to using the Apple update.

My understanding of this is that if an update from Apple were to foul up the operating system *and also* foul up an application like Safari (at the same time on the same update), then by going back to the original drive (and not using the Safety Clone) -- one would be essentially running the computer like it was prior to the Apple Update (including the Safari application and the operating system).

However, I'm wondering what would happen if the update was a program like iPhoto and the actual database organization and the pictures were affected. Now would the application iPhoto be back in its original state (prior to the application upgrade) *plus* the pictures and the database orgaization of iPhoto -- if one were to revert to the original drive (and not the Safety Clone)?

If this is not the case -- then what is the procedure for dealing with this kind of an "Apple application update" (like we have with iLife 05)?

Regards,
Star Traveler

dnanian 01-29-2005 09:35 PM

Hello, Mr. Traveler.

You're absolutely right: the Safety Clone does nothing to help you with "user files", and the iPhoto library would definitely be part of that. (iPhoto itself would not be.)

I'd encourage you, in these situations, to back up your base drive (typically "Macintosh HD"). Should the update mess up something like the iPhoto library, it's a simple matter to restore it from the backup.

There's not much we can do to 'protect' it, as trying to copy it would clearly prevent you from rolling back in a 'good' situation (any operations on your photo library would be lost).

Does that make sense and/or help?

Star Traveler 01-29-2005 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian
Hello, Mr. Traveler.

I'd encourage you, in these situations, to back up your base drive (typically "Macintosh HD"). Should the update mess up something like the iPhoto library, it's a simple matter to restore it from the backup.

There's not much we can do to 'protect' it, as trying to copy it would clearly prevent you from rolling back in a 'good' situation (any operations on your photo library would be lost).

Does that make sense and/or help?

Yep, on the iLife programs (like iTunes and iPhoto) that would make sense. I would have both the complete backup and then the Safety clone. I could then either go back on either one of the back-ups, depending on the nature of the situation and whether it involved my personal files or not.

I've already done the complete backup, so now I'll do the Safety Clone and go from there.

Thanks for your help. And thanks for a good implementation of the back-up necessities on the Macintosh -- with your program.

Best Regards

dnanian 01-29-2005 09:48 PM

Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad you've chosen SuperDuper!

Please stop by again if you have additional questions or comments.