Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The strangest Thing just happened on the Way to Backup (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2984)

hhamburgerjung 10-12-2007 03:11 PM

The strangest Thing just happened on the Way to Backup

I have used the latest version of SuperDuper! for Backups for some weeks now. Today, when I connected my external FireWire hard drive for a backup after about 10 days without a backup, I could not select my regular backup volume as it was grayed out. Using the 'Option'-key did not make a difference.

- My external hard drive is split up into three volumes
- I do have all read & write-permissions on the volume
- I copied files to the volume in question
- I stopped and started SuperDuper!, selected a different volume, stopped and started SuperDuper!, rebooted my Mac a few times - no difference
- I used DiskUtility to erase one of the other volumes and performed a perfect backup to this volume
- I ejected all volumes of the external hard drive, yet the earlier volume containing SuperDuper! did not respond to being ejected.
- I rebooted my Mac and found that I could now perform any kind of backup to the volume that was grayed out before.

Strange, isn't it?

dnanian 10-12-2007 03:32 PM

Very. What that implies is that you were actually running from the drive that was greyed out...

hhamburgerjung 10-12-2007 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 14617)
Very. What that implies is that you were actually running from the drive that was greyed out...

Strange, I know... I should have taken some screen-shots, and it sounds that you are correct.

Yet, I could select my source volume as the target volume...

Problem may be on my side. I'll just take some screen-shots whenever something unusal happens and publish whatever log files you need.

dnanian 10-12-2007 05:54 PM

You could have both the source and the destination be the same volume? I can't see how that could happen...

hhamburgerjung 10-13-2007 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 14622)
You could have both the source and the destination be the same volume? I can't see how that could happen...

I know, that should not be possible at all. Today the backup is running just peachy, so maybe my MacBook had been smoking something yesterday. I'll chime back in in case something unusal happens.
If SuperDuper! writes log-files I'd be more than happy to send them to you.

Thanks, Dave, your support is outstanding.

dnanian 10-13-2007 02:06 PM

It does write log files. If this was a manual backup, choose Window > Show Log and click "Send to shirt pocket".

If it was a scheduled backup, select the schedule in the Scheduled Copies window (Window > Scheduled Copies), click Show Log and do the same.