Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Clone not showing in StartUp Disk, and cannot dismount Destination Drive (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1962)

Dial 01-01-2007 01:39 AM

Clone not showing in StartUp Disk, and cannot dismount Destination Drive

Hi,

I have completed my clone successfully according to Super Duper yet my new clone does not appear in StartUp disk for testing as a bootable clone.

Secondly, I cannot dismount the new clone. SuperDuper tells me the clone is in use.

So, what is going on?, any suggestions?

Thanks..

dnanian 01-01-2007 09:55 AM

Well, the first problem could be because your destination is not a physical volume (an image file), or because the drive isn't properly partitioned as either APM or GUID, depending on your Mac type.

The second seems likely to be Spotlight indexing the backup: you can fix that by adding the volume into the Spotlight Preference Pane's "Privacy" tab.

Dial 01-01-2007 07:10 PM

Ok, it might help if I gave a little history: I prepped the drive by zeroing in Disk Utility. I then (blush) used Carbon Copy Cloner. That copy wouldn't show up in Start Up Disk in Utility either.

Since, I'd already spent too much time, in my estimation, trying to get CCC to do as I wished, I decided to try Super Duper. I downloaded and went right ahead erasing and cloning via the Super Duper front end.

As with CCC the clone failed to show up in the Disk Start Up window.

So here we are. I do not understand your advice on APM or GUID. My assumption was that erasing/zeroing in Disk Uitility was adequate preparation.

And I have followed your advice and despite repeated attempts I cannot seem to drag my clone drive to the Spotlight privacy window.

My computer is an ibook running OS X 10 4.8. The source drive is a 60G Hitachi and the destination an 80G Samsung in a Macally Firewire enclosure. Any suggestions as to what next?

Cheers, and thanks.

dnanian 01-01-2007 07:15 PM

You need to select the drive in Disk Utility. Then, switch to the Partition tab. Click "Options". Then choose "GUID" (if an Intel Mac) or "Apple Partition Map" (if a Power PC Mac).

Once done, partition the drive.

Once that's done, add the drive into the Spotlight Preference Pane's "Privacy" tab (it should work after the partition), then try the copy again.

Note: I don't know if the Macally case uses an Oxford chipset, so it's hard for me to know whether it will be reliably bootable. We'll see.

Dial 01-02-2007 09:20 AM

Ok, once I did a restart I had no further problem dismounting the external drive.

As to the rest: I've done all you have suggested and still the external drive does not appear in the Start Up Disk window in System Preferences. I've given a few of my usual apps a go and they seem as usual. Perhaps all is well?

Regarding the bootability of the Macally drive. I was sold the enclosure by my local Mac service center on the understanding that it would be bootable. Indeed the first copy made was by them. I never tested it for bootability, so who knows...

Any further suggestions before I return to the service center and ask them to sort it out?

dnanian 01-02-2007 10:10 AM

If you've done as suggested, it should show up -- I'd definitely go back to the service center and have them replace this enclosure with something that *definitely* uses the Oxford chipset and can be demonstrated as bootable.

Dial 01-07-2007 01:59 AM

All is well. A little bit of thought, and I realized one small, very obvious, and very essential factor was missing from the equation. Apologies. :o

dnanian 01-07-2007 10:27 AM

Oh, don't leave us hanging here, Dial -- what was it?

Dial 01-07-2007 11:19 PM

I had been using USB for a task a while back and neglected to change to Firewire..

Apologies, again, for the hot air and general time wasting that got blown your way.

dnanian 01-08-2007 06:50 AM

Ah! No, no worries -- just wanted the thread to have a stated conclusion in case other ran into the same thing. Thanks.