Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Wierd yellow firewire sign when testing target mode (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1269)

chemokid 05-06-2006 06:57 PM

Wierd yellow firewire sign when testing target mode

I created two partitions on my Lacie Porshe 160GB drive. One called "Image" for the entire bootable image and one called "Backups" where I plan on storing future user file backups. I created a full backup image of my 15" Powerbook hard drive onto the Image partition.

When SuperDuper! was done I mounted the Image partition and saw that all my files were there along with all the OS X system ones. The last step of the image process was to make the image bootable.

I reboot the Powerbook and hold down T to test the image and try to boot off of it. But all I see is this yellow firewire logo bouncing around and nothing else happens. Does this mean that my image is not bootable?

First time using SuperDuper! and firewire target mode.

dnanian 05-06-2006 11:49 PM

We've made the image bootable, chemokid, but only in the sense that it's set up as a bootable volume should be.

But -- you can't boot from a virtual drive, which is what an image is. You can only boot from a real, physical drive -- an internal or supported FireWire drive for PowerPC Macs, or a FireWire or USB drive for Intel Macs.

Your image can be booted from once it's restored to a real device. See the User's Guide for a lot more on this topic.

MikeTRose 05-07-2006 05:26 PM

Hey chemokid:

Quote:

Originally Posted by chemokid
\I reboot the Powerbook and hold down T to test the image and try to boot off of it. But all I see is this yellow firewire logo bouncing around and nothing else happens. Does this mean that my image is not bootable?

I think you meant to hold the Option key on boot, not the T key. T-for-Target disk mode turns your Powerbook into a Firewire drive (so you could connect it to another Mac) and does not allow you to choose a startup disk. Option-for-boot-options gives you a menu of your connected bootable volumes and would let you select the duped drive. Or, you could use the Startup Disk preference pane to select the other drive instead -- this gives you a quick preview of what Mac OS X thinks your bootable volumes are.

;)

dnanian 05-07-2006 06:03 PM

Good catch, Mike -- if, chemokid, you didn't make an "image" (meaning a sparse image)... did you?

chemokid 05-08-2006 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeTRose
Hey chemokid:

I think you meant to hold the Option key on boot, not the T key. T-for-Target disk mode turns your Powerbook into a Firewire drive (so you could connect it to another Mac) and does not allow you to choose a startup disk. Option-for-boot-options gives you a menu of your connected bootable volumes and would let you select the duped drive. Or, you could use the Startup Disk preference pane to select the other drive instead -- this gives you a quick preview of what Mac OS X thinks your bootable volumes are.

;)

Thanks Mike. I forgot to mention that I can manually boot using the image on the firewire drive if I select it as the start up disk using the Startup Disk preferences. But if I hold down the Option key during bootup it only shows the default internal drive and does not show anything related to the firewire drive. I'll keep playing around though.