Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Please advise on the best backup (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5647)

xslord 09-03-2009 05:49 AM

Please advise on the best backup

Hi i am new to SD (as i am evaluating it) at this moment it looks very promising!

Below is what i am using for the evaluation:

MacBook Pro 15" Unibody (APR'09):
With 2 partitions, one for the OS (Snow Leopard) and one for DATA

Freecom USB 2.5" 250GB External Harddrive
With 3 partitions, one with a copy of the SL Installer DVD, one OSX (10.5.8) Boot partition (with SuperDuper installed), and one for Data.

Question:
Can i create a backup (read only image) of Snow Leopard boot up partition on the MacBook Pro, when i bootup from my external USB HD.

Or should i boot from my MacBook (SL), install and run SuperDuper from there and do the backup?

Thanx for your advise

dnanian 09-03-2009 09:23 AM

You should not copy Snow Leopard from Leopard, no. And I would suggest a read/write image, not a read-only one (which is slow and can fail during conversion if any I/O errors or disk space issues occur).

xslord 09-03-2009 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 26549)
You should not copy Snow Leopard from Leopard, no. And I would suggest a read/write image, not a read-only one (which is slow and can fail during conversion if any I/O errors or disk space issues occur).

So if i understood it correctly i should create a backup of SL by booting and runing SD from another OSX startup (like from an external boot drive or another boot partition)?

dnanian 09-03-2009 10:49 AM

No, it's fine to copy the drive you're running from... but if you want to start up from an external HD, you should be running Snow Leopard to copy Snow Leopard.

xslord 09-04-2009 06:02 AM

Hi dnanian

Thanx for your reply, could you be so kind and explain why it is better to create an SL image from an external startup which is also SL?

Cheers

dnanian 09-04-2009 08:06 AM

You're going to get a more accurate copy if the drive isn't in use, since its files won't/can't change. However, in the vast majority of cases, those changes have no real effect.

xslord 09-04-2009 12:01 PM

Thanx again for your reply Dave,

But what i meant was : does it make any difference if i boot from an external drive (USB HHD with Leopard 10.5.8) and then make an image/backup of my MacBook (Snow Leopard)?

dnanian 09-04-2009 12:02 PM

Yes. I can only say that so many times. Do not copy Snow Leopard from Leopard.

xslord 09-04-2009 03:05 PM

Once again thanx for replying, but please forgive me if i asked it once more:

Why can't one not make an image from Snow Leopard by running SD from a Leopard Startup, please explain.

I know you mentioned this on a previous reply:
Quote:

You should not copy Snow Leopard from Leopard, no....
But i really would like to get some more (technical) details, to understand the reason (and to be able to explain it to others)

Thanx for your effort!

dnanian 09-04-2009 04:09 PM

Because there are new features in the new OS, including compressed files, that aren't supported fully by earlier versions.