Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Which set of Permissions does SD use? (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3379)

DavidCB 01-02-2008 01:21 PM

Which set of Permissions does SD use?

Suppose I boot a computer running OS 10.2.8 from external drive A (10.4.11) and make a copy of 10.2.8 on external drive B (newly partitioned), using the Erase and Copy option.

When SD repairs Permissions on external drive B before copying, which set of Permissions does it use?

Is this a different set than if external drive B contained a previous SD copy of 10.2.8 and I was using Smart Update?

Thank you,

David

dnanian 01-02-2008 01:41 PM

We run Disk Utility to repair the permissions, and it uses the information from the drive that's being repaired (along with the information in Disk Utility itself).

DavidCB 01-02-2008 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 16368)
We run Disk Utility to repair the permissions, and it uses the information from the drive that's being repaired (along with the information in Disk Utility itself).

What about in this case where the drive being repaired is blank?

David

dnanian 01-03-2008 11:43 AM

The source volume was blank? I don't think we'd allow you to choose to repair permissions in that case.

DavidCB 01-03-2008 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 16375)
The source volume was blank? I don't think we'd allow you to choose to repair permissions in that case.

I don't have a blank drive to try it with again and the log has now been overwritten with a backup from today, but as far as I remember, "Before copy: Repair permissions" was checked. (I just tried it with a new, blank sparse image and it is still checked.)

David

dnanian 01-03-2008 02:29 PM

The source drive, David? I just picked a non-OS drive for the source drive and checked Options, and repair permissions is grayed out.

DavidCB 01-03-2008 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 16389)
The source drive, David? I just picked a non-OS drive for the source drive and checked Options, and repair permissions is grayed out.

I just booted from the external drive I have been using. As I mentioned, I don't have a blank drive to copy to but when I start to copy to a sparse image, in Options, "Before copy: Repair permissions" is checked and not greyed out.

David

dnanian 01-03-2008 03:27 PM

Right, that's to an image. That's the destination drive, not the source.

DavidCB 01-03-2008 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 16393)
Right, that's to an image. That's the destination drive, not the source.

Sorry--I misread your previous message. When you asked, "The source volume was blank?" I should have said, "No, the target volume was blank."

In any event, when the target volume is blank, I suppose that Repair Permissions has no effect?

David

dnanian 01-03-2008 03:34 PM

No, it doesn't repair permissions on the destination, just the source. That's why the name of the source drive is specifically stated in the option text.

DavidCB 01-03-2008 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 16395)
No, it doesn't repair permissions on the destination, just the source. That's why the name of the source drive is specifically stated in the option text.

Of course--now I get it. Sorry to have been so dense.

Thank you,

David

dnanian 01-03-2008 03:57 PM

Sorry it took so long to make it clearer on this end, David!