Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Creating a crontab entry for SuperDuper! (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5312)

mustbjones 06-08-2009 08:48 AM

Creating a crontab entry for SuperDuper!

Yes, I know that SuperDuper! has its own scheduling system but somethimes my machine in not always on or is asleep when the time comes. I have a registered copy of Macaroni (system preference pane). The help section says I can create my own jobs if I know how to write the command line instruction. So I would like to know how to write one for SuperDuper! so that when my machine wakes up or powers up, Macaroni will check to see if SuperDuper! has executed and run it if not. Thanks.

dnanian 06-08-2009 09:09 AM

This is not an easy task, actually -- I really can't write this
script for you. But, if you use the scheduling technique in the "One Touch Button" FAQ entry, and set the program you create to run on an iCal schedule, as the alarm action, it will run on wake...

mustbjones 06-08-2009 12:41 PM

I found the directions for creating the symbolic link and think I followed them correctly. In iCAL under alarm I selected "Open File" and selected the new symbolic file I created. What got copied to iCal was "Copy Job". I left the "time" at 15 minutes. But it didn't work.

dnanian 06-08-2009 04:02 PM

It should work. I don't know why it wouldn't. You moved it into a different folder than Saved Settings, etc? Does it work if you run that "copy job" by hand in Finder?

mustbjones 06-09-2009 08:53 AM

It is in the folder Saved Settings. When I first created the link it looked like a regular document icon. After clicking on it, it turned into an AppleScript looking icon (still with the little arrow.) I double clicked on the icon and SuperDuper! did launch and start to run. Can we conclude from this that neither the day(s) of the week nor the time are saved in this file?

Because I was adding and deleting the iCal events strange things now show up in the drop down box. Under action it says things like "Open 'Copy Job' 15 minutes before", "Open 'Copy Job' on 6/8/2009 at 6:15pm", "Open 'Copy Job' on 6/23/09 at 6:30pm". I find this very strange because the events time is 2:30pm.

dnanian 06-09-2009 01:34 PM

I can't explain why iCal isn't doing this right, but "open file" as the alarm event should just work...

mustbjones 06-09-2009 01:40 PM

Dave -

We be good. Not being a power user of iCal I had turned off the alarms when I first installed it. On a hunch I checked the iCal Preferences and found my error.

Thanks again.

mustbjones 08-25-2009 10:16 AM

Dear Dave,

Now that I have got this working I notice that nothing is sent to the log. So, if I am away from the computer during the time SuperDuper! is scheduled to run, how do I know it did?
Thanks.

dnanian 08-25-2009 10:33 AM

The log for the settings will be updated. Load the settings with File > Load Settings, then view log.

JoBoy 08-25-2009 10:57 AM

What's wrong with setting the Mac to Startup or Wake just before SD! is set to run? I do this every day. I set the Startup or Wake time in the schedule of the Energy Saver system preference pane. The Mac starts up in the middle of the night and SD! does its copies. The last scheduled copy is set to shut down the computer when the job is done. If I'm doing an all nighter and the machine is on at the startup time, the machine ignores the set startup and the copying begins, but I have the option of discontinuing it if it interferes with what I'm doing.

dnanian 08-25-2009 11:03 AM

There's nothing wrong with doing that, and -- in fact -- that's what I suggest in the User's Guide. The above ensures it runs regardless if that's your goal.

mustbjones 08-25-2009 11:47 AM

I understand File>Load settings but all I get is a "dialog box - Saved Settings", but where is "view Log"?

dnanian 08-25-2009 12:09 PM

In the Window menu - Window > Show Log.

JoBoy 08-25-2009 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 26244)
There's nothing wrong with doing that, and -- in fact -- that's what I suggest in the User's Guide. The above ensures it runs regardless if that's your goal.

The Users Guide is where I originally got the idea. Sorry for not giving proper attribution.

mustbjones 08-25-2009 03:04 PM

Thank you. I realized that I wasn't selecting the new settings file first. Now the log shows the correct information.