Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   downloading and booting from the backed up copy (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3652)

atipani 02-17-2008 12:31 AM

downloading and booting from the backed up copy

Hi

I'm new to SD. Some time ago I had downloaded a non registered copy and I just successfully backed up my HD (OS X.10.3.9)(on a LaCieFW320GB) in a little less than an hour for almost 40GB, before upgrading to Tiger.
OK.
Then, I decided to buy the complete version of SD, which I did.
I am now downloading the version from the website.
But there, 3 questions:

- why does the SD unregistered application is indicated 5,2Mb (or MB?) and the complete version only 2,7 ???

- why does it take so long ? it has been even stuck (as I write) at 1,2 and indicates 1h45minutes left, for the last… 20minutes !!

-rather than downloading the whole version again, could I choose the upgrade from your site ?

- finally, a totally different question: I've never done a booting from a copy. Could you kindly explain how to do that step by step ? do I have to turn off the computer first and when it starts again will it ask me from where to boot (provided the FWdrive is plugged) ? if it starts from the regular volume, how can it start from the copy which is on my FW external drive??
really beginner's question !

thanks
Atipani
ps. I think I'm going to just stop the downloading and wait for your answer!

atipani 02-17-2008 12:38 AM

my mistake !

Hi again
before speaking I should have done what I just did !:rolleyes::
I opened SD and clicked on "register" and there it was: I was registered, so in fact it was upgraded automatically.
Great !
so, forget about my 3 questions.. I also stopped the downloading.

but my last question remains…for now!:D

Atipani

TMay 02-17-2008 01:16 AM

atipani

About your last question, yes, you cannot boot from your backup without restarting your computer, either by shutting down and then powering up, or by using the "Restart" command.

To boot from the external FW, there are two main choices:

1) If the FW drive is mounted on the running computer, choose System Preferences and in the Startup Disk pane, you should be able to select the system on your external FW drive to become the startup system. Then restart, OR

2) When doing a restart or power up, before the chime sounds, if you hold down the option key, a screen will present itself which shows all available boot systems. You then select the one you want (the backup, in this case) and click the arrow to continue the boot. Be patient while waiting for all systems to show on the screen, it can take a while.

atipani 02-17-2008 01:47 AM

thank you

:)
that is my face right now !
thanks to you, I'll follow one of these path.
atipani