Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Can't quit SD after first backup... (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1067)

kswaty 02-18-2006 09:40 PM

Can't quit SD after first backup...

I just backed up my original HD to my 2nd HD which I partitioned for a Sandbox. After it finished - Step 3 said make this a bootable copy - so I clicked OK and it went back to the SD window where I started.

I temporarily named the HD I just copied to "Backup" for this first step. I guess the backup was successful - I was going to close SD, rename the new HD "Macintosh HD" before I boot from it for the next step of creating a Sandbox.

I thought I would test it a little before making the Sandbox. However when I try to close SD, It will not close. Is there something else I have to do before it will close...?

Also, Should I rename the disk I just copied (from 'Backup to Macintosh HD) before I reboot as I planned and also rename the other that I backed up from (from Macintosh HD to Macintosh HD backup) before I reboot as well..?

kswaty 02-18-2006 11:51 PM

I went ahead and renamed the new drive, then booted it to see how the copy works -I am using it now. The fonts - most of them that were disabled did get enabled.....and about 3/4ths of them also got duplicated - so I went through them and resolved the duplicates. Some did not get duplicated and some did not get enabled - but all of the fonts that were disabled in my Computer Collection stayed disabled, but some of those did get duplicated - no rhyme or reason that I could see for the ones that got duplicated.

One other strange thing - all but 2 or 3 selections in my "Open With" box got duplicated - is there a proper way to remove the duplicates...?

Maybe I'd better use this copy for a while before I make a Sandbox. Does this sound like a successful copy to you..?

dnanian 02-19-2006 09:06 AM

Hm. I have a lot of disabled fonts and haven't seen them get enabled like this. Anyone else following this thread have that happen to them?

The Open With makes some sense, though, because you have two sets of the apps. When you boot back to the main drive, use Onyx or Cocktail to rebuild the LaunchServices database. That should fix it up.

Do not work on the copy a lot! Remember, any work you do up there is isolated to that drive!

kswaty 02-19-2006 11:52 AM

Having the fonts become enabled was not a problem because I did go ahead and make a disabled fonts folder and was able to disable them all at once - I wish there was a way to resolve duplicates all at once though. After resolving the duplicates I decided to reboot just to see what would happen and the fonts I disabled stayed disabled but about 1/4 of the enabled fonts were duplicated again - not too bad.

I would like to make the Sandbox today. Should I go back to my old volume and download Coctail and Onyx, and rebuild Launch services first...? (I have no idea what that is) It was is my understanding that the copy I'm using now is what I will use to smart update my original HD with, so would't anything I save or delete here get smart updated to my original HD...? I beyond appreciate your support.....

dnanian 02-19-2006 11:54 AM

You don't have to download both cocktail and onyx -- just grab Onyx for now (it's free) and use it to rebuild Launch Services.

Yes, you can copy back to your original HD from the backup, as long as you've been working exclusively from the copy. I just don't want you to lose any work!

kswaty 02-19-2006 12:18 PM

Can I rebuild Launch services only or do I have to do a whole System Cache cleaning..? It seems to me like I should be rebuilding Launch S on the copy...shouldn't the original HD be exactly as it was (except for maybe some font anomolies)...? I guess I'd better go and take a look....sorry so many ?s - I'm sooo new at this.

dnanian 02-19-2006 01:05 PM

Just rebuild LaunchServices (though you can go ahead and rebuild the others if you'd like).

The original HD is like it was, but you're seeing more apps because you now have two copies. Rebuild LaunchServices will put it back to one (unless you then go and use Finder to look at the backup Applications folder again).

kswaty 02-19-2006 03:03 PM

This is interesting - I just booted back to my original source HD and everything is just as it was - even the font folder. There was a message in Photoshop Elements that popped up "Can't syncronize color because folder cannot be found", which I also got the first time I opened it on the copy.

So now I just booted back to my copy and the font book is perfect - however, the "Open With" list now has triplets..!!! I changed the name before I booted back to the orig source - so aliases would be resolved, but I booted back to the Copy before changing the source name back to "Backup". Do you think this has anything to do with the duplicating in "Open with".

Just to make sure I understand - when I download Onyx - I download it while using the Copy (I have not yet made a Sandbox) - and then use it to rebuild LaunchServices on the copy...correct?

What I don't want to have happen is when I Smart update my Source from the Copy, that the duplicates would be copied back to the source. If this is just an issue with me, than I must be doing something wrong.

dnanian 02-19-2006 03:05 PM

Just rebuild the LaunchServices database on the original, and you'll be back to one copy of each application in the Open With list. (It is due to what you did with the rename -- LaunchServices, alas, isn't as smart about this stuff as I'd like.) That'll then copy to the backup the next time you Smart Update.

kswaty 02-20-2006 04:59 PM

I rebuilt the LaunchServices with Cocktail (easier for me to understand) and it worked great. I am wondering about the resolving aliases. Are the only ones I have to be concerned about in the dock only - if that's the case maybe it would be easier to just forget all the renaming - is there a better way to do this...so far my copy is working great and I'm getting excited about making the Sandbox.

The only other place I found duplicates (so far) is in my earthlink webmail address book - does that sound strange? I think the people who never buy are really missing out on Sandbox - what a good idea you had..!!!

dnanian 02-20-2006 05:26 PM

Well, don't worry about the aliases, then -- you've tested your backup and it works fine, and as long as you're updating it properly it should be good. Don't be overly concerned about the alias issue for now.

Earthlink's webmail had duplicates? That's weird, because those are on their server, are they not?

kswaty 02-20-2006 05:41 PM

They are on the server - yes. So I went ahead and deleted each duplicate...and the next time I went to use them, they were all gone..!! Oh well, needed to update those addresses anyway....thanks so much for your help.

dnanian 02-20-2006 05:56 PM

That's strange, but it sounds more like an Earthlink bug than anything else.