Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   SD cloned drive switched to internal will not boot (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6436)

hapmac 04-20-2011 10:36 PM

SD cloned drive switched to internal will not boot

Background:
Upgraded an imac G5 ppc 10.4.11 w/ a shiny new Hitachi 2TB SATA I/II/II 6gbps 64mb cache but it kept overheating the cpu DANGIT and sometimes shut the whole thing down -- yikes! Guess the PPC G5 just can't handle those parameters even though it is backwards compatible according to the tech info/specs. Great if you have a newer setup, eh? So I'm gonna use the Hitachi as a backup drive and an also-new 2TB Western Digital WD Green Caviar Intellipower which was originally the backup up used to Super-Duper clone/all files backup from the Hitachi. Only about a week's worth of minor differences so I moved the WD (which seems to run much cooler) into the internal drive spot.

Startup/Boot Problems:
I can boot from the overheating 2TB Hitachi via an external firewire dock, but I cannot boot from the now internal 2TB Western Digital, which was cloned via copy all files (~ approx a week ago).

If I try to boot from the WD-internal, the Startup chime occurs but then it gets stuck on the grey apple logo screen, no widget ever starts to turn; the fans kick in loudly after a while. I can't seem to CMD-S single user boot from it NOR safe-boot (shift startup) from the WD-internal either. I have to shut down via the power button and then:

Have to use the Option-key boot -> to the Hitachi external Firewire dock which boots fine (and the temps stay much lower/acceptable range when it is the external drive) and the WD is the un-booted internal drive. WD-internal gets recognized in the Option-key boot screen BTW as having an OSX system. As does System Preferences > Startup Drive (when I boot from the external hitachi).

When I boot from the external firewire Hitachi (now), I can see and access the WD-internal and all WD folders/files/contents via the desktop; I can copy and install items onto that disk. WD-internal is recognized by both disk utility & system profiler. I just can't boot from it.

While booted from the external Hitachi, use Disk Utility, disk permissions were checked/repaired/re-checked, disk verified, repaired (nothing needed), and re-verified -- but WD-internal just won't boot now that it is the internal hard drive.

I wondered if there were jumpers so I read info on the Western Digital drive that said it should be ready to use, and in fact it was super fine as an external drive.

There's a difference of about 4GB in the log which was what I presume were virtual memory and related files -- see the bold part below. Here's the confirming excerpted part of the log:
<snip>
07:46:55 PM | Info | Copy Mode : Erase, then copy files
| 07:46:55 PM | Info | Copy Script : Backup - all files.dset
<snip>
| 07:47:13 PM | Info | PHASE: 2. Copy Files
| 07:47:13 PM | Info | ...ACTION: Copying files from Hitachi2TB to WD2TBGrnA
| 07:47:13 PM | Info | ......COMMAND => Cloning Hitachi2TB to WD2TBGrnA
<snip>
| 04:37:35 PM | Info | Evaluated 5339492 items occupying 965.55 GiB (508303 directories, 4798153 files, 33036 symlinks)
| 04:37:35 PM | Info | Copied 5339318 items totaling 961.81 GiB (508282 directories, 4798002 files, 33034 symlinks)
| 04:37:35 PM | Info |
Cloned 961.81 GiB of data in 75022 seconds at an effective transfer rate of 13.13 MiB/s
| 04:37:35 PM | Info | ......COMMAND => Resetting Custom Icon bit on WD2TBGrnA
| 04:37:35 PM | Info | PHASE: 3. After Successful Copy
| 04:37:35 PM | Info | ...ACTION: Making WD2TBGrnA bootable
| 04:37:35 PM | Info | ......COMMAND => Blessing OS X System Folder
| 04:37:36 PM | Info | Successfully blessed Mac OS X folder on WD2TBGrnA
So, is there something I'm missing here, something that should have been in those 4-5GB not copied perhaps?

Sorry this is so long. Would appreciate feedback on what I may be misunderstanding or missing here cuz I thought a cloned drive would boot and I think I've done so before in fact.

Thanks!
from a baffled but determined fellow mac user.
:confused:

more system info in case that helps:
2005 imac G5 ppc (non-intel)
20-inch 2.0ghz ALS
Mac OS X 10.4.11
Machine Name: iMac G5
Machine Model: PowerMac8,2
CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.1)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 2 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.2.5f1

for others who are upgrading whether you have imacs, intel, G5, dual core, old macs or whatever, there are some great deals on drives these days. I researched a bunch of drives while I was upgrading BTW. Here are some:

dnanian 04-20-2011 10:42 PM

Are you sure that this Mac is compatible with the drive you installed? Sounds to me like it isn't...

hapmac 04-20-2011 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 30511)
Are you sure that this Mac is compatible with the drive you installed? Sounds to me like it isn't...

I had wondered too but before I bought I got upgrade recommendations from several places saying that it was, and everything I can find at WD support etc doesn't indicate a problem, but heck, what do I know? And how can I find out for sure?

Is it possible it would be okay as an external, but not internal? And how come it shows up everywhere if it's not? I mean it's the internal drive now, and I can use it for storage but it won't boot. So weird, huh?

Thanks for suggestions!

dnanian 04-20-2011 10:53 PM

As an external, it just needs to be compatible with the controller in the case. Internally, it has to be compatible with your G5s controller. It clearly isn't.

hapmac 04-20-2011 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 30513)
As an external, it just needs to be compatible with the controller in the case. Internally, it has to be compatible with your G5s controller. It clearly isn't.

okay well dangit.

Do you know how I find out what the controller is or where to compare definitively for compatibility?

dnanian 04-20-2011 10:59 PM

Perhaps talk to Apple, or a hardware focused company like MacFixIt or OWC.

hapmac 04-20-2011 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 30515)
Perhaps talk to Apple, or a hardware focused company like MacFixIt or OWC.

Okay thanks for all your help on this. Sheesh. Live & learn, eh?

So I guess it'll be my 2nd external backup and I'll have to go back to an older backwards compatible hitachi for now and will have to save up for a whole new Lion based rig sometime this year (or next)! :-)

cheers/thanks again Dave!

hapmac 04-21-2011 12:40 AM

it might be the jumpers...

just a quick update. Again, all the WD info I found seems to indicate this WD20EARS drive should be compatible w/ OS X...although nothing specifically matched g5 ppc 10.4.x that I could find yet.

But I found a reference to some specs & jumper settings for Specifications for Caviar Green and Caviar GP Serial ATA hard drives that may be required for backwards compatibility to 1.5/3.0gbps that I'm going to try; specifically the very bottom of the 2nd box called 'PHY enabled' which is also the same settings as 'OPT1 enabled' in the first box.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/7750/sscdesktop.th.jpg

do you have any thoughts about this by any chance?

dnanian 04-21-2011 07:25 AM

It's unlikely this is the problem, although you can certainly try. We know, though, that the copy is fine, since it works externally...

TMay 04-29-2011 12:41 AM

Hap

Realize this is late and you may no longer be reading this. Plus, I think Dave has it right as usual.

BUT, one thing you could try, which apparently you haven't or at least you haven't mentioned it, is to recopy to the WD. Use SD to do a "Backup-all files" to it using "Smart Update" and see if it boots. If it doesn't then do the same full backup to it, but using "Erase, then copy."

Either way, you still have your full backup, and it could work. (But probably won't.)

Have fun.