Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Original OS & Backup won't boot (HUGE fan noise) (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1084)

super8trash 02-24-2006 05:36 AM

Original OS & Backup won't boot (HUGE fan noise)

Since I got SuperDuper! I've always been starting up from my 'Sandbox' so I could try out new installs. On a 'LaCie d2' I've been backing up 'all files' through a 'smart update'. Works great!
So I have three startup disks: original OS, Sandbox and a 'LaCie OSX' Backup: 10.4.4.
Only yesterday I tried for the first time to start up from the original OS X partition and from the LaCie system. To no avail. The grey startup screen keeps hanging and after a minute or so there's this huge fan noise that won't stop unless I push the power button.
I searched around a bit and heard of extreme G5 fan noise on 10.4.3 but I can't 'connect' this problem with my 'boot problem'.
So before reformatting and reinstalling anything, any insight much appreciated...

Tom
--------------
G5, 2x2 GHz

dnanian 02-24-2006 07:29 AM

That's strange, Tom. Your original drive should be exactly as it was, other than changed user files.

What I'd suggest, to start, is turning all the way off, and disconnecting all peripherals except for mouse, keyboard and display. Then, hold down Cmd-Option-v and power on.

That'll log what's going on during the boot process, and -- while technical -- it will hopefully give a message that will help determine what's wrong...

super8trash 02-25-2006 04:38 AM

Dave, I took a note of those last lines in the log (really quick 'cause I'm afraid the fans would blow up):
---------------------------
Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IO resources</string><key>
IO resourceMatch </key><string ID="2"> boot-uuid-media </string></dict>
Got boot device = IO Service:/MacRISC4PE/ht@0, f2000000/AppleMacRiscHT/pci@s/IOPCI2PCIBridge/
k2-Sata-root@C/AppleK2SATARoot/k2-sata@0/AppleK2SATA/ATADeviceNub@O/
IOATABlockStorageDriver/IOATABlockStorageDevice/IOBlockStorageDriver/Maxtor 6B160M0 Media/
IO ApplePartitionScheme/Apple_HFS_Untitled_1@3
BSD root: disk 0s3, major 14, minor 2
---------------------------
Does this make things any clearer?
Thanks,
Tom

dnanian 02-25-2006 12:34 PM

Hm. Well, no -- it sounds like it's just hanging.

(The fans aren't going to blow up -- what's happening is that your system isn't running it's fan management code because it's not booted, so the fans go into a "protective" full-speed mode to keep things cool.)

Let's try the following. Shut down and power on with Cmd-Option-O-F held down. That'll get you into Open Firmware. Then, try typing:

reset-nvram

(followed by return, then)

reset-all

(followed by return)

Your system will restart -- maybe that'll help it boot successfully. Let me know.

DaleMeyn 02-25-2006 09:21 PM

Dave, that happened to me twice (iMac 17" iSight OS10.4.2) early on, once during startup, another time after running a while. I shut down, restarted, all was OK. I thought it was the HD or CD drive going into overdrive. I guess the fan was the real culprit. It hasn't happened for since the first few weeks after I got the iMac (12-29-05). Maybe because I'm running OS10.4.4 now. Dale Meyn.

dnanian 02-25-2006 09:23 PM

Yep. Basically if the OS isn't responding, the fans are going to kick in full speed...

super8trash 02-26-2006 05:07 AM

Dave,

(Thanks for the quick replies.)
But no... After I repaired permissions on both disks, I did reset the 'original OS' and the 'OS Backup' through Open Firmware. Still, the OS is not responding...
(I think, in the end, I wil have to reinstall the G5 which isn't a disaster really because I'd like to reorganize the workflow between my dektop and my new Powerbook.)
In the meantime, I did a fresh install of OS 10.4.5 and created a Sandbox on this Powerbook (G4, 1,5GHz). Both systems boot succesfully.

Tom

dnanian 02-26-2006 08:38 AM

Will it successfully boot into single user mode, Tom? (Cmd-opt-s during power on.)

super8trash 02-26-2006 11:22 AM

I had to look into "OS X: The missing manual" for this one, ...

When I start up in single-user mode from the Sandbox I get this 'localhost #' prompt and I'm able to boot. Starting up in single-user mode from the original OS won't do: I don't get the 'localhost #' prompt, I can't type there... ?

dnanian 02-26-2006 11:56 AM

OK. There's something wrong with the OS on that drive I don't get. At this point, I'd suggest an archive-and-install on top of it...