Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Using SD when needing to resize partition ?? (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2354)

jont-uk 05-03-2007 06:39 AM

Using SD when needing to resize partition ??

Hi - hope you can help ...

I've ploughed through most of the forum threads and product details but can't quite get to put a set of answers or process together ...

What I want to do is to copy an existing OSX install from one HD to another, reformat and partition the original HD to be larger, then copy back the OSX install ...

The questions I have are:

I presume from what I've read SD will do this but will it only copy back to a 'same size' partition as it copied from ?

What is the best way to run SD - will it run on the OSX install to be backed up or do I need to boot from an external source ?

AS this is a 'one-off' exercise I don't need to do incremental backups, etc ... what setting for copying the OSX install do I use - is it backup or disk image ?

Any answers appreciated and then I can get on and buy SD and get this backup done !!

Thanks

Jon

dnanian 05-03-2007 07:39 AM

SD is more than happy to copy to a volume that's larger or smaller than the original, actually. So, that's no issues.

The best thing to do is to use "Backup - all files" to copy to the other drive. Name the drive the same as the original drive, then start up from it. Repartition and copy back the same way.

Should be pretty easy...

jont-uk 05-03-2007 11:30 AM

Dave ... thanks for your reply ... my only concern is that the backup drive already has other data on it and from looking at the manual a 'backup-all files' erases the destination drive first ?

Am I correct in thinking this ? ... as I said this is a one time exercise and I can't clear the backup drive ...

rgds

Jon

dnanian 05-03-2007 11:33 AM

Ah, you didn't say the backup drive had data on it. Well, that makes it more difficult, but you can use an image, then start up from your OSX install disc. See "Recovering from a disaster" for the restoration technique to use.

jont-uk 05-03-2007 11:40 AM

Wow - what a speedy reply - thanks again Dave ...

Sorry I didn't say the external HD has data (it is my personal data and therefore not part of the OSX install to be copied/repartitioned/restored)

Where is 'recovery from a disaster' ? I can't find a reference in the manual ...

rgds

Jon

dnanian 05-03-2007 11:42 AM

It's a section of the User's Guide -- should be right in the Table of Contents...

jont-uk 05-03-2007 11:48 AM

Ah ... found it !!

So that's how I restore - what setting to I use to make the backup itself ?

Sorry to appear to be thick - I'm not really - but as the backup is not *standard* I want to be sure before I start messing with the data !!

Jon

dnanian 05-03-2007 12:23 PM

Use "Backup - all files" to an image stored on that drive. (The User's Guide covers this, so take a read before proceeding...)

jont-uk 05-03-2007 12:42 PM

Thanks Dave ... So I select 'disk image' in the right hand drop down menu and create a disk image with teh same name as my source HD ... then us ethe backup all files option to save in to that disk image ?

Jon

dnanian 05-03-2007 12:51 PM

Yes. Really -- take the time to read the documentation! I don't want you get get part way through and confused!

jont-uk 05-03-2007 04:56 PM

Dave

thanks for your help ... I have just purchased SD ... (s/no ending T4C3)

earlier I made a 'sparse image' of my own existing OSX partition and it copied and created a disk image ... from the manual it seems I select that image and do a 'restore' using disk utility when I boot from an OSX cd ...

One question - is a 'sparse image' a bootable image if it is on a firewire drive ? ... or does the fact that I need to restore from that image mean I can't use it to boot from ?

rgds

Jon

dnanian 05-03-2007 04:59 PM

Sparse images are not bootable, since they're not real drives. You have to restore it to something that you'd normally be able to boot from (like your new partition).

jont-uk 05-04-2007 01:54 AM

OK ... so I boot from my OSX dvd and select the sparse image with disk utility and restore from that ...

Thanks for all your help - I'll let you know how it goes !!

Jon