Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   duping a FV2 disk (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6884)

chrisr 07-07-2014 07:18 PM

duping a FV2 disk

Setup...
  • New Mac mini being used for imaging.
  • source: FV2 mounted and unlocked boot HDD (from a MBP) connected to the mini via TB.
  • target: Unencrypted SSD mounted via USB3.
Imaged just fine, but the SSD won't boot in the system.

Basically I was hoping to move to this SSD w/o decrypting first (or using migration assistant, etc.), but can't seem to figure out how to get the computer to boot off the new drive. It alternates between the apple and slashed-circle logo. Guessing it's some issue with EFI and/or the missing recovery partition.

Any idea if there's a way to get this to work? Of course I can decrypt the HDD first, but that's a lengthy process that would be nice to avoid. Thanks!

dnanian 07-07-2014 07:39 PM

Try attaching a USB2 cable to the drive, Chris (it'll fit 1/2 the port), then booting from it.

chrisr 07-07-2014 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 32891)
Try attaching a USB2 cable to the drive, Chris (it'll fit 1/2 the port), then booting from it.

I only did the imaging via usb3/TB. Once the image was complete, I installed the SSD back in the MBP, where it didn't work as I described. I can try booting the SSD externally, but ultimately I want it back in the computer the source was taken from, so that wouldn't solve the problem.

Thanks

dnanian 07-07-2014 07:52 PM

So - did you try booting it externally? Or did you install it without checking it?

chrisr 07-08-2014 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 32893)
So - did you try booting it externally? Or did you install it without checking it?

I had to button up the MBP, but attempting to boot the imaging Mini with that SSD gave me the same alternating grey apple/slashed circle boot loop.

I'm going to try restoring the recovery partition (a fresh one as opposed to the one from the MBP) on that SSD and see if that makes a difference.

dnanian 07-08-2014 12:57 PM

We might want to simply try updating prebindings on it, Chris. Send me some support email.

chrisr 07-08-2014 01:29 PM

This is very odd. I went to poke around on that drive and now I'm seeing the obvious reason that it's not working...it's not a complete copy. This is how much I trust SuperDuper; I saw the copy finish green and assumed it was fine.

It appears to at least be missing... /Applications, /Library, /bin & /sbin from the root, but there could be more.

So I guess I have a different problem than I thought. Sorry for the confusion. I'll do some more investigating on the copying side of things and see what went wrong there. Thanks for the quick replies.

dnanian 07-08-2014 01:46 PM

That's awfully weird. Are you sure you did a "Backup - all files"? It sounds like you didn't...or the source drive was so damaged that we were stepping through the files and the system skipped some.

Send me the log with the "Send to shirt pocket" Button - I'd like to look at it.