PDA

View Full Version : Backup -ALL files?

Jim Stewart
01-13-2006, 06:31 AM
Hi All

I'm new to SuperDuper!, and had a quick exchange of emails with David in which I learnt I need to do a full backup and archive & install of Tiger. That left me thinking: do I really need to backup all my Apps? I currently have 3 versions of Photoshop installed, plus Softpress Freeway, some OS9 stuff I hardly ever use now, etc etc. All the important stuff I also have on the original CD's and DVD's. Plus about 35GB of photo files (already backed up manually to DVD's and my LaCie 160 D2). So do I really need to back all these up? The time saved by not doing so would be very considerable (I have 60GB on my MacHD, and it took an hour to Sandbox 9GB with shared users and app's yesterday.)
So my question is: short of uninstalling all these app's and trashing my pics (too scary), is there any way to do a partial backup, excluding them from the process?

Thanks in advance

Jim

dnanian
01-13-2006, 09:17 AM
Why would uninstalling the applications trash your pictures, Jim? I really wouldn't only back up partially... remember that it only takes time the first time through, if the files don't change, and if you want them on the original you certainly want them on the backup. Otherwise, what's the good of the backup?

Jim Stewart
01-13-2006, 09:48 AM
Hi Dave

Sorry if I've not expressed myself too well. Uninstalling apps and trashing pics were two separate possibilities for cutting the time for the initial backup. While I do want to keep backups of the pics on the ext. HD, I don't see much need to keep all the apps there when I've got the original disks as backups for the big ones.
Anyway, I guess i'll just have to bite the bullet and set the backup as an overnight task.
Do you think the time I stated for the Sandbox job was about right? (iMac G4 800, 768MB RAM)
My machine was running very erratically yesterday, and I did neglect to log-in on the shift key before starting (bad day!). So maybe the backup will run a bit faster than the effective copy speeds of 2.5>4MB/s I got yesterday...
I'm currently running from the sandbox and it's going fine: just hope it stays that way when I reboot from the Mac HD...

All the best

Jim

dnanian
01-13-2006, 10:22 AM
An hour seems like a long time for 9GB, but the whole point of Smart Update is that it won't copy things that don't need to be copied. So, the next time you update the Sandbox, it'll be faster.

Note, too -- a Sandbox is not a backup, right? I'm pretty sure you know this, but I want to emphasize it, because it's important...

Jim Stewart
01-13-2006, 10:58 AM
Hi Dave-

Actually, I put the Sandbox in the smaller partition of the drive - I'll need to use the other partition for the full backup. And since I'm going to have to store some other stuff in there currently held on the ext. HD (eg iTunes & iPhoto Libraries), I guess I'll have to use Copy Newer or Copy Different in future Backups, as Smart Update would erase these, right? Or would those options be impractical on a bootable copy drive (note on p10 of manual)?

Jim

dnanian
01-13-2006, 11:03 AM
Don't do that, Jim (Copy Newer/Different). Your copy won't remain bootable. If you want to store things on the drive, create a 3rd partition for data.

Jim Stewart
01-13-2006, 11:30 AM
Then I got a problem. I don't have the space on the Mac HD to accomodate the iTunes/ iPhoto libraries etc which I have on the LaCie at present. So unless I can get a piece of software which will let me partition the drive again with them in place, I'm going to have to get another drive before I can move this along... :(
That's the problem with digital photography... it just eats drive space faster than I can feed it to it!

dnanian
01-13-2006, 12:00 PM
Well, there is software that does that -- iPartition. It's just not a bootable backup if you don't use "erase, then copy" or "smart update". And the mix of files created isn't easily restored, except file-by-file.

Jim Stewart
01-13-2006, 12:43 PM
Thanks, Dave-

iPartition it is, then. Hope it's as all-round good and useful as SuperDuper!.

Thanks for your help

All the best

Jim

dnanian
01-13-2006, 01:02 PM
I've had good luck with it...

Jim Stewart
01-13-2006, 03:05 PM
Dave-

Well, I've had a look at it, but decided not to risk it just right now. Instead I've backed up my pics to DVD's, slimmed down my iTunes lib and moved it and the iPhoto lib back to the Mac HD. Now have 15GB available there, so I'll re-jig the partitions on the LaCie and try the archive & install tomorrow. That's enough for tonight...

Thanks again

Jim

dnanian
01-13-2006, 03:15 PM
Fair enough, Jim!