PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER Partitioning question

gijohn
01-03-2006, 09:25 PM
Trying to decide which app to use for back ups (how can you beat the support here? Wow!) and have read quite a few messages pertaining to partitioning - but most of them deal with partitions on the external drive only.

I have a G5 with 2 internal hard drives with 5 partitions. One of them obviously my boot partition. If I want to do a full backup of each partition and then daily incrementals - is it best to make 5 partitions on my external Lacie and size them accordingly?
One of my internal partitions is 25 gigs of which 5 gigs are used, another partition is 50 gigs of which 10 gigs are used, etc etc.

Thanks for the help/suggestions.

dnanian
01-03-2006, 09:26 PM
Well, in general, you want a separate partition or image for each backup source. Since your other partitions are likely not bootable, you could make two partitions -- one for the boot volume, and then another that will store 4 sparse images, one for each of the other four partitions. You'd Smart Update all of these.

Does that make sense?

gijohn
01-03-2006, 09:35 PM
Gee Dave - my significant other is a registered user (Dee Dee Martin) and loves your support - but 2 minutes after I post? On a Tuesday night at 9:30pm? My goodness.

Yep - makes sense. I just wanted to make sure I could back up a partition that didn't have a bootable system on it. (sorry for my ignorance - still learnin this old brain all about backups, etc) :o

dnanian
01-03-2006, 09:38 PM
No ignorance, it's always better to ask if you have any question about how things should work.

Glad it makes sense, and happy to help.