PDA

View Full Version : not ejecting sparse image after backup

rossb
12-08-2005, 03:47 PM
Hi,

First off - love 2.0. The fact that scheduling multiple backups at the same time makes them run back-to-back is absolutely amazing and makes the backup far more efficient than I had it before with iCal and whatnot.

Okay, the problem.

In the manual it says if you create a sparse image within SuperDuper! as destination, in the future it automatically connects, mounts, and ejects after backup. The first two are working for me, as before 2.0, but the app doesn't eject the image afterwards.

Is this perhaps because I am using pre-existing sparse images that were made before 2.0 with DiskUtility, so the app isn't "latching on" to them as such? As it is, people come into work in the morning and find the sparse image mounted. It's messy, and there's always the risk that someone might be completely careless and start working on the sparse image.

Any ideas? I want to keep the sparse images I already have, and not make new ones (which I presume would fix the problem, if the manual is correct).

Thanks,
Ross

dnanian
12-08-2005, 05:42 PM
Nope -- I think you're probably not using the "Disk image..." choice in the destination pop-up, but rather mounting them the 'old way'.

So -- choose "disk image..." in the pop-up, make sure it's set to "Read/Write "Sparse" image", and then pick the image file. Ignore the warning about overwriting -- it's just going to update that, not overwrite.

That's all you need to do.

rossb
12-09-2005, 09:35 AM
Nope -- I think you're probably not using the "Disk image..." choice in the destination pop-up, but rather mounting them the 'old way'.

So -- choose "disk image..." in the pop-up, make sure it's set to "Read/Write "Sparse" image", and then pick the image file. Ignore the warning about overwriting -- it's just going to update that, not overwrite.

You're a star, Dave. Today I finally have the all-SuperDuper! backup solution running flawlessly. It was the "replace" button that scared me off when I tried that before – maybe something to tweak. Anyway, wonderful. The interface is definitely one of the best Mac interfaces out there today.

Thanks,
Ross

dnanian
12-09-2005, 09:50 AM
Yeah. That's part of the standard panel and we're still trying to figure out how to tweak that particular alert.

Glad it worked, Ross, and thanks.

sjk
12-30-2005, 06:56 PM
It was the "replace" button that scared me off when I tried that beforeMe, too! I didn't even try it until after Dave reassured me it worked the way it does, which was counterintuitive to my expectation.

dnanian
12-30-2005, 09:38 PM
Indeed. We're hoping to get around that prompt at some point in the future. I hate it too.

arnaud
02-08-2006, 04:26 PM

Hello Dave, hello everyone

I am a bit puzzled when using a "sparse image" where I'm smart-updating some important folders.
When I launch SD, the image mounts, and I have to possible destinations for my smart-update : the image itself and the mounted image.
1° Is it normal ? 2° Which one should I choose in SD ?

Thanks

dnanian
02-08-2006, 05:20 PM
If, when you launch SD!, the image mounted, that would be because the last run was with the image volume selected, as opposed to the image file.

The only real difference: with the image file we mount/unmount during the "Copy Now" process. With the image volume we mount when the settings are loaded, and then treat it as a disk from that point forward: the drive is not unmounted at the end.