PDA

View Full Version : the simplest question of the year!

dirt farmer
11-10-2005, 01:12 AM
Is it really this simple? I have searched the forum with some key words and phrases, to no avail...and the pdf is somewhat unclear to a novice like me.

I am buying a new hard drive to have installed in my trusty little e-mac (as mine has filled ever so quickly with music!). It will be installed by my local Apple certified retailer/service center. My drive is currently 40Gb. I have an external, 80Gb fire-wire drive, with a bootable clone on it (this, too, will be replaced soon). Once the new drive is installed (and formatted, zeroed, etc..), do I just simply hook up the fire-wire drive and do a regular back-up, in reverse? I'm sure the Apple tech's could do it for me, but I want to do it myself.

Is it really this simple??

Thanks for the help!

dnanian
11-10-2005, 07:45 AM
Yeah, it's really that simple. :)

Alternatively, you can install Tiger to it "clean" and then use the "Migration Assistant" (which appears during the first boot) to migrate your applications and settings. It's up to you!

macfeller
11-10-2005, 09:00 PM
this past year I have laughed out loud at the ease SD! has made life so sweet for me and my family's various Macs. To the now lone Windows user (my wife has finally come over) I just say, "Take it to the HelpDesk." (helps that she's a thousand miles away).

Thank you very much, Dave.

dirt farmer
11-10-2005, 09:57 PM
Thanks again for your, as usual, quick reply! I have backed up regularly now three times a week, for many months. Never an error or problem! You guys sure have some powerful medicine!

dnanian
11-10-2005, 10:21 PM
Thanks, macfeller & dirt farmer!