PDA

View Full Version : How do I back up to one HD then another?

lou
10-03-2005, 03:39 PM
Hi.

I am using the latest SD on 10.4.

I have created a script called "Backup My FIles"

I choose "backup all files" (from default sd scripts) as the only script to perform.

In my options i set "repair", "smart update", and for after copy i run a customization script to disable spotlight for the drive.

All is good except I want to run the script to my 2nd internal drive first THEN after its done run the same script to my external FW drive.

If i do i manually and switch the "to" HD to the external FW after its done with my "internal" drive it works fine...

But how do i automate this to backup to my internal drive then my FW external after its done all with one script ...

thanks

dnanian
10-03-2005, 04:38 PM
At present, Lou, you can't without writing an AppleScript: you'll have to do it manually. Sorry!

lou
10-03-2005, 04:59 PM
thank you. will 2.0 change this?

or if i went the applescript route, is there a way to tell when the first (internal) backup was "done" before going onto the FW drive?

is so i will do that.

dnanian
10-03-2005, 05:02 PM
v2.0 won't allow you to run two "manual" Backups back-to-back automatically, but you can certainly scheduled more than one volume to be backed up, and they'll run one after the other (if they're scheduled to do so).

The script can indeed tell when the backup is done: take a look at our example "Daily Backup" script for the technique to use.

lou
10-03-2005, 05:09 PM
thanks. I will.

SD changed the way I deal with backups for the better.

dnanian
10-03-2005, 05:20 PM
I'm really happy to hear that, Lou!

lou
10-03-2005, 06:48 PM
One last question....can i "program" in applescript the changing of the "to" hard drive (so i can change the "to" hd from internal to external)?

I am looking at the applescript dictionary now and am unsure if its possible.

thanks.

dnanian
10-03-2005, 11:13 PM
You'd just save two sets of settings, one for each drive, and load them one by one, Lou.