PDA

View Full Version : Recovery Partition Needed for 2-Factor Authentication

BudSimrin
03-25-2015, 03:52 PM
I understand from other threads that SD does not copy the Recovery Partition. But... I just enabled 2-factor Authentication for Apple's ID, and now Mavericks will not let me select my Mac as a known device. The consequence is that every time I access iCloud, download updates, or any of several other activities, Apple makes me go through several extra steps (select a device for Apple to send a 4-digit code to, and then I have to enter that code in my Mac). Way more than I bargained for.

The stated reason that I cannot select my Mac as a "recognized" device (so that the code sending happens just once) is that Apple disabled Find My Mac (just on my Mac – it still works on my other devices) when I enabled 2-factor Authentication. (Or, at least, last time I checked a few weeks ago, my computer was included in Find My Mac.) The message I get is that in order to enable Find My Mac I must have a Recovery Partition. Now.... my boot SSD has 3 partitions: Sandbox, MacHD, and Recovery HD. The latter is a Mavericks recovery partition and I can access it through the Finder (as an invisible partition), but Find My Mac doesn't recognize this partition. I am guessing that this is because SD doesn't copy the recovery partition?

I performed a cmd-R reboot and after a long delay Sandbox rebooted, so apparently my recovery drive really no longer is valid.

Should I try a network install of of Mavericks on Sandbox to see if that will repair the recovery partition? Or does SD not copying it make the difference?

dnanian
03-25-2015, 04:23 PM
If you reinstall the OS, it should recreate the recovery volume. I'd delete the one you have first, though.

BudSimrin
03-25-2015, 11:04 PM
Thanks, Dave. That worked.

dnanian
03-26-2015, 09:56 AM
Glad to hear it. It's really very easy to recreate a recovery volume...