PDA

View Full Version : Beach Ball at launch

canonkid
03-04-2014, 02:36 PM
I have a new 27in iMac with a fusion drive with Mavericks 10.9.2. I Have been using SuperDuper for years and can’t remember ever having any problems. I’m cloning to a OWC Mercury Elite Pro 1 terabyte drive with 2 partitions, 1 is a scratch for Photoshop and the other for the clone. The clone works great and boots just fine. The problem I have is when I launch SuperDuper I get a spinning beach ball for 20 seconds before the app responds. I have never seen this before. Is this normal now or is there something wrong? I’m using version 2.7.2. Thanks

dnanian
03-04-2014, 02:44 PM
It's because something you've got attached - drive or network mount, etc - is taking time to respond when we get a list of attached devices and ask each what they are.

canonkid
03-04-2014, 03:03 PM
I have just the one drive connected with USB 3. I used to use this drive on my MBP connected with Firewire 800 but there seems to be a problem with Mavericks and firewire with drives not sleeping. I have nothing else connected. I'll just use SuperDuper as it is since the backups work just fine.Thanks for the info.

dnanian
03-04-2014, 03:11 PM
IF you set Energy Saver to not let drives sleep, that might help.

canonkid
03-04-2014, 03:32 PM
I've tried all kinds of settings and nothing seems to help. I had the drive connected with firewire 800 to thunderbolt adaptor and it would not spin down even when ejected. There is a long thread on Apple Discussions with unhappy firewire drive owners. I hope Apple puts out a fix for it soon.