PDA

View Full Version : no, I don't want to back up with Time Machine!

Dan Lester
08-29-2013, 04:33 PM
Have been using SuperDuper for many many years, and I depend on it. But just recently, on my iMac 10.6.8, whenever I command a copy with SD, my Mac asks me if I want to back up with Time Machine. Um, no, that's why I'm backing up with SD! Time Machine is turned off in System Preferences and as far as I know has never been turned on. Why has it wanted to start asking me this question, and how can I turn that off? Never used to get that message. Somehow, SD is triggering that question.

dnanian
08-29-2013, 04:39 PM
Are you doing erase-then-copy backups?

Dan Lester
08-29-2013, 04:44 PM
Are you doing erase-then-copy backups?

Yes, I am. I should say that this is for occasional manual backups. I do scheduled nightly and weekly backups, and this question doesn't seem to come up. Those are, I believe, just smart updates.

dnanian
08-29-2013, 05:01 PM
This is the way Time Machine works. When you erase a drive, it prompts you to see if you want to use it for Time Machine, whether Time Machine is on or not.

Dan Lester
08-29-2013, 06:09 PM
This is the way Time Machine works. When you erase a drive, it prompts you to see if you want to use it for Time Machine, whether Time Machine is on or not.

No kidding? Never knew that. Thanks much. I just didn't recall that happening when I did manual backups.