PDA

View Full Version : Smart Update designated folder, leaving rest alone?

jimco
02-14-2013, 08:13 AM
Is there a way to smart update certain folders, while not messing with any other folders on a target drive? I have a drive with miscellaneous backups, and for some reason thought it would leave the rest alone when I updated one folder, but the rest got deleted. Perhaps not surprising in retrospect, but is there a way?

dnanian
02-14-2013, 08:34 AM
There isn't, no. Smart Update operates on the selected volume: you can't select a single folder.

TiggerGTO
03-11-2013, 01:27 AM
I had the same question as the original poster. I would like to have Smart Update capability that is based on making directory trees look the same instead of whole disk drives. I have a Drobo with lots of storage that I use as my primary repository for my digital photography. I have a root directory called pictures. Under that, I have a directory per year. Under that directory, are directories for each shoot that I ingest. The most actively changing directories are the current year and the subdirectories under it. I'm still doing some editing of pictures from last year, but most of the previous year's folders are not being updated any more. I would like to be able to use Smart Update to make the 2012 and 2013 folders identical, but I'd like to leave all the other folders alone. If I go back and edit something in 2011, I'd like to be able to rerun smart update on the 2011 folder to pick up any of the edits or deletions that I do.

So, my request is to enhance Smart Update so that you can specify the base directory of the source and the base directory of the target that will be made identical instead of matching the whole drive. The current Smart Update is very useful, but I'd like a Folder Smart Update option.

Thanks,
Danny

dnanian
03-11-2013, 02:42 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, Danny.

TiggerGTO
03-24-2013, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, Danny.
Any indication when or if this might become a new feature available for use?

Danny

dnanian
03-24-2013, 10:16 AM
No indication, no. :)