PDA

View Full Version : Restore from external drive to newly formatted computer

kondo
02-06-2013, 04:56 PM
My apologies. I sent this via email but realized I could post to this forum. I tried posting to FAQ by accident which it didn't take.

----------

Last week, I did a smart update on my mac retinal laptop to an external drive. When I do that, I also make it bootable. Right after I did that, I took my laptop into the apple store where they had to replace the logic board, and therefore, the hard drive as it's a new retina display laptop. I just got it back and it's as if it's a brand new laptop as I have to go through the setup screens. I haven't even gotten past the entire mac setup screens but I did see the screen saying that I could backup from a computer or an external drive.

So, I'm trying to figure out the best way to restore from the external drive I backed up to. I didn't see this scenario in your instructions manual.

The 'genius' at the Apple store said that if I used Setup Assistant and transferred from 'Another Disk' (which would be the Super Duper clone), that may not pull over some serial numbers. Although I'm not worried about that as I have all the serial numbers, I'm wondering if that's the best way to do this.

Please note that this is the same computer that I backed up. The OS is the same. The hardware is the same (except for a replaced logic board).

Please let me know the best way to proceed.

Thanks,

Paul

dnanian
02-06-2013, 05:30 PM
You should transfer from another disk during startup. That'll work just fine.

kondo
02-06-2013, 08:43 PM
Thanks Dave. All seems good. Just had to put in a few passwords. Haven't checked all apps but everything is good so far.

Thanks again for a great piece of software. I don't remember when I bought it but even for this issue, which was far from a catastrophic computer problem, it saved me tons of time getting back up and running.

dnanian
02-06-2013, 09:18 PM
Glad you're all set!