PDA

View Full Version : individual foder

has55
01-28-2011, 12:50 AM
I have a 2 TB external drive that format for mac. My wife has a MPB laptop. I would like to know if super duper could back up to a single folder that would have our names on it?
One folder for her laptop and one for my imac. When I select the back up option, it seems like super duper is going to wipe out all data that on that ext drive. is this correct?

"smartupdate will copy and erase what's neede to make Backup identical to your selections from Macintosh HD. The result will mimic " Erase Backup, then copy files from Macintosh HD", but will typically take a fraction of the time."

Austin

dnanian
01-28-2011, 07:12 AM
The right thing to do is to partition this drive into multiple volumes, one for your Mac and one for hers. Partitioning is covered in our Frequently Asked Questions section (Help > Frequently Asked Questions).

has55
01-28-2011, 02:15 PM
thank you. When I partition it I will be moving a folder containing music that not on my imac to the ext drive on my side of the partition. Can I still use superduper to back up my Imac or will superduper erase my side of the partition before backing up?
Can superduper be directed to backup into a folder?

dnanian
01-28-2011, 02:54 PM
If you want to store other data (non-backup) on the drive, you should have a separate partition for that. Plus, remember: you need to back that up too!

has55
01-28-2011, 05:03 PM
ok. will use separate partition. But I am curious about the functionality. Can superduper write into a folder? Will it erase the drive when it backup? It shouldn't matter since I'm using different partition, but i was curious.

dnanian
01-28-2011, 05:06 PM
We can write an image into a folder, but all backups that we write are 'rooted' - that is, they're based at the top of a volume. That ensures that they're the same as the original, and can be restored with anything, including Disk Utility, if need be.

has55
02-02-2011, 06:43 PM
Thank you for all your help. Well appreciated.