PDA

View Full Version : An especially silly mistake.

Cromdubh
11-05-2010, 08:09 AM
I have not found any other post which matches my recent bout of stupidity.
I run an iMac, OS X 10.6.4.
I have an External drive, partitioned.
One partition is dedicated to SuperDuper and the other contains my OS on which I keep Disk Warrior and TechTool supposedly out of harm's way rather than an "E-Drive" on my Main Drive
I was rather busy this am,multitasking, forgot to turn on my external drive, popup from SuperDuper, target drive blank, clicked a drive, found later that it was taking rather a long time then discovered that I had selected the partition with the OS containing my DW and TT. I decided it was best to allow the thing to complete its backup and then ran my SuperDuper to the proper destination partition.
I now would appear to have two partitions both containing a bootable TT clone.
I want to clear one to reinstall an OS and my DW and TT programs.
I would appreciate some advice on how best to do this.
I seem to remember that deleting partitions on an external disk in Mac is not straightforward, perhaps especially if it has been "prepared" for a SuperDuper backup .
Thanks in advance.
Tom

dnanian
11-05-2010, 10:08 AM
No trick: just erase-and-install OSX on that partition, Tom...

Cromdubh
11-06-2010, 09:35 AM
Thank you.
A hairy moment when the Erase on Disk Utility seemed to have been a bit too severe, but God Bless Snow Leopard, it really knows how to move on a blank disk! Did the full install (over the top I know) without asking for original disks. Act of faith, or what?
Just as well I'm retired, the whole thing took all day and most of the night, I did the full TechTool run. Put the latest DW on for completeness sake.
Certainly I'll be a bit more careful, I had a few close shaves with this arrangement before, but this was the first time to put a full clone on the wrong partition!
Tom

dnanian
11-06-2010, 09:44 AM
I know it's easy to ignore the windows you've seen many times before, but I didn't want to make you type the name of the drive you're going to copy to (or whatever).

Relax, take your time and read what SD! is displaying. The two seconds you save by ignoring that information aren't worth the hours of potential recovery if you ignore it...